Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 11-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #21
trueblue82
Arofanatic

just for clarification, is 1 drop equals to GH1? so on and so forth?
trueblue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #22
Nikochan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetf View Post
I find the Sera one the easiest to use. Bring it back to the shop you bought from and ask the uncle how come it never change colour. Ask him to show you how it works.
it really was expired. i went to y618 and new API stocks! yah. the initial colour of the GH test kit should be green. the one i got from y934 was expired, it was orange when it came out.

Final update!
PH: 6.2
GH: 161ppm (9 drops)
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

How should i soften the water? peat? artificial buffer?
Old 12-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #23
avex30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikochan View Post
it really was expired. i went to y618 and new API stocks! yah. the initial colour of the GH test kit should be green. the one i got from y934 was expired, it was orange when it came out.

Final update!
PH: 6.2
GH: 161ppm (9 drops)
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

How should i soften the water? peat? artificial buffer?
Use distill water w/o any other addictive change the water slowly in a regiment of a few days interval (DO NOT CHANGE IN LARGE QTY). Peats soften the ph not the GH. At the same time if you have rocks etc. Better have them remove 1st you can try getting Mosura softwater to use. It will soften the water but you need to monitor as it can bring it down to 0.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #24
Nikochan

Quote:
Originally Posted by avex30 View Post
Use distill water w/o any other addictive change the water slowly in a regiment of a few days interval (DO NOT CHANGE IN LARGE QTY). Peats soften the ph not the GH. At the same time if you have rocks etc. Better have them remove 1st you can try getting Mosura softwater to use. It will soften the water but you need to monitor as it can bring it down to 0.
http://fins.actwin.com/mirror/begin-chem.html

Quote:
Peat moss softens water and reduces its hardness (GH). The most effective way to soften water via peat is to aerate water for 1-2 weeks in a bucket containing peat moss. For example, get a (plastic) bucket of the appropriate size. Then, get a large quantity of peat (a gallon or more), boil it (so that it sinks), stuff it in a pillow case, and place it in the water bucket. Use an air pump to aerate it. In 1-2 weeks, the water will be softer and more acidic. Use this aged water when making partial water changes on your tank.

Peat can be bought at pet shops, but it is expensive. It is much more cost-effective to buy it in bulk at a local gardening shop. Read labels carefully! You don't want to use peat containing fertilizers or other additives.
Bro you sure? i did do my homework.. i just want to have confirmation on how to lower the gH and how the shrimpkeepers' method naturally without changing the water of my tank/re-cycle it/start the bb colony(unless neccessary)
Old 12-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #25
avex30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikochan View Post
http://fins.actwin.com/mirror/begin-chem.html

Bro you sure? i did do my homework.. i just want to have confirmation on how to lower the gH and how the shrimpkeepers' method naturally without changing the water of my tank/re-cycle it/start the bb colony(unless neccessary)
peats doesn't bring down GH much will if you say you do your homework than just go try it. See whether your ph crash or your gh crash.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #26
cheetf
Dragon

Home work vs experience. Your call.
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #27
avex30

By the way TS i don't where you got that info about peats. Those are gardening use. If you are refering to aquatic use the brand is SERA peats moss.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #28
Nikochan

wow. just a question guys. i didnt even mean to sound rude. i apologise if i did come off as offensive. :\ dont have to snap back at a newbie right.

thanks all for the advice.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #29
Nikochan

Quote:
Originally Posted by avex30 View Post
By the way TS i don't where you got that info about peats. Those are gardening use. If you are refering to aquatic use the brand is SERA peats moss.
okie thanks. sorry if i offended all experienced shifus.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:54 PM   #30
cheetf
Dragon

High GH is a common problem. It is usually due to topping up water only in a tank that is cooled by a fan or rocks that raise the GH. Doing gradual water changes with distilled water as adviced by bro Avex is a known solution to the problem. Do a bit more homework by surfing some of the old threads and you will see it.
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote