Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 24-05-2016, 10:44 PM   #1
tru3xaznxb0i

Default Ammonia high

Hey guys,

So i noticed my pH is acidic, and my ammonia levels are spiked(it was worse before). long story short, i accidently destroyed my biological media by cleaning the filter with hot water. I went to a friends house yesterday to get established media, and immediately placed it in the filter, which is now running.

I've been doing constant WC daily, about 20-30% each day. Its been 3 days since this happened, and im trying to do my best to remedy the situation and hopefully not make it worse.

I currently have 3 parrot fish(one started to have while ick(?) or fin rot(?) ) and 1 pleco and 1 crossback . The parrot fishes have been moved to a quarrantine tank
tru3xaznxb0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 11:41 PM   #2
tru3xaznxb0i

This was yesterdays reading, I will check tonight for levels, but I suspect it wont change that much. I did a water change this morning about 20%

right now it is just crossback and pleco in tank
Old 24-05-2016, 11:48 PM   #3
tru3xaznxb0i

for some reason can't add photo, any suggestions?
Old 25-05-2016, 01:36 AM   #4
Dave57

Likely pH crash causing the parrot fishs' problem.

Add coral chips/ oyster shell/ baking soda to bring up the PH to near 7.

When the beneficial bacteria are working on ammonia, pH will be lowered due to the production of nitric acids. Bring up the pH to near 7 by dosing baking soda. Then, buffer the pH with coral chips or oyster shell in filter.

In the meantime, do daily WC and monitor the pH. Ammonium oxidizing bacteria will build up over time.
Old 25-05-2016, 01:46 AM   #5
tru3xaznxb0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57 View Post
Likely pH crash causing the parrot fishs' problem.
I currently have them removed into a quarantined tank. Right now its just Aro and Pleco in the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57 View Post
When the beneficial bacteria are working on ammonia, pH will be lowered due to the production of nitric acids. Bring up the pH to near 7 by dosing baking soda. Then, buffer the pH with coral chips or oyster shell in filter.

In the meantime, do daily WC and monitor the pH. Ammonium oxidizing bacteria will build up over time.
Right now I am using API Quick Start + Stress Coat. I have been doing about 20-25% changes daily. Beneficial bacteria was added two days ago.

Because my pH level is acidic, thus being in ammonium form . i was told not to raise pH levels because it will make the ammonia dangerous?

I was told "the first thing you have to establish is your water source PH reading...because PH affects everything about nitrogen cycle...." I am going to check the pH levels on my tap water tonight to see as well.
Old 25-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #6
canopy
Dragon

API Quick Start + Stress Coat? you are overdoing it. The products you mentioned is good but do not mix ard.
canopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #7
tru3xaznxb0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by canopy View Post
API Quick Start + Stress Coat? you are overdoing it. The products you mentioned is good but do not mix ard.
I didn't mix them, they are used separately . quick start is added to new water when Doing water change .

I was suggested to use seachem prime over API quick start? what are your thoughts
Old 25-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #8
canopy
Dragon

Seachem Prime is ACC, Quick Start is to enable the tank to start up within a short time. Both serving different purpose.
canopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 12:11 PM   #9
shermie
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru3xaznxb0i View Post

Because my pH level is acidic, thus being in ammonium form . i was told not to raise pH levels because it will make the ammonia dangerous?

I was told "the first thing you have to establish is your water source PH reading...because PH affects everything about nitrogen cycle...." I am going to check the pH levels on my tap water tonight to see as well.
while it's true keeping your pH more on the acidic side means your have more ammonium than ammonia, ur tank will also cycle slower, and if ph drops too low eg 6.0 nitrification will cease.

what i do in emergency situations like yours, is to keep pH around 7 for more optimal BB growth, and use a antichlorine / ammonia binder like seachem prime / AST chloramx / amquel which will bind / convert the ammonia into a non toxic form. u'll need a more specific test kit which measures ammonia instead of total ammonia, meaning it measures only NH3. there're other methods too like using purigen to absorb nitrogenous waste, or zeolite to absorb ammonia or using hydrapure to convert ammonia via electrolysis.

u're on the right track by dosing bottled BB and seeding with old media, but do take note that by performing daily WC u're also getting rid of the free floating BB so it's kinda counter productive.

and take note there'll be a spike in nitrites after the ammonia goes down, which can be equally deadly.
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 10:59 PM   #10
patclay
Dragon

Should not be doing wc daily now because your bb is always kept replacing, thus not giving it enough time to mature.

Increase aeration, and like what Bro mentioned, add purigen and zeolite, which is a safer way to reduce ammonia.
patclay is offline   Reply With Quote