Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 06-06-2005, 07:24 PM   #41
vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan
yes some form of crossbreeding may have occurred but it is not like wat many have professed and spread it to be ... tat HBRTGs are a result of a breeding programme between Xbacks and RTGs ...
I tend to agree with this line of thought. Could it be that HBRTGs are what
I refer as "degraded" Xbacks due to inbreeding over sustained period either
by design or by accident.

Old 06-06-2005, 09:33 PM   #42
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mewmender
precisely .... so how do we conclude all of them carry a simillar traits?
im pretty sure every batch of every farm would hav 'good/nice/premium ' ones and 'not so nice ones' ........ what u buy/choose all based on individual preferences lor ....

juz my 2sens
Old 06-06-2005, 09:53 PM   #43
draconis

saw this on dfi's website...

the original page is at http://dragonfish.com/photo33.htm

One of the bigger CITES arowana farms in Kalimantan, Indonesia is P.T. DINAMIKA KAPUAS. We are proud to introduce its premium fish, the 'Metal Red' for the first time in Singapore. This trademarked fish is currently very popular in Japan due in part to its metallic sheen when fully grown as well as relatively larger finnages.
The Metal Red, is created through 20 years of selective breeding, using only the most stringent criterion. Only a limited quantity of adult brooders are being used for this special programme. Hence, here we are, introducing 20 pcs of Metal Red for the local as well as export market. All fishes will come with their original certificates, hand written and certified by its director, Mr Jimmy Wijaya.

what's the metal red that is created thru 20yrs of selective breeding? anyone got one?

Old 06-06-2005, 09:59 PM   #44
kagemaru

I would also agree that HBRTG not necessary = RTG X XB

but there's always a question where does all these HB comes from:

If by selective breeding the highest quality RTG we should never get 5th level RTG

4th level RTG X 4th level RTG can never be better than their parents.

then something must have gone into the equation to make it cross over the 5th level...

Tats the issue when purity comes into the picture. There are XB in Indonesia but of a lesser amount as compared to Malaysia as most of these stocks are traded for...not naturally occuring in their habitat...I dun think Pekan baru have XB origins...mostly are RTGs

Old 06-06-2005, 11:19 PM   #45
Keane
Arofanatic

the so called HBRTGs are actually XBs that cannot make the grade set by the breeding farms for tagging and selling.......
Old 06-06-2005, 11:30 PM   #46
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane
the so called HBRTGs are actually XBs that cannot make the grade set by the breeding farms for tagging and selling.......
see ... this is worse ... something tat is pure speculation and completely not true ..... its very dangerous when these are propagated thru the internet as the truth especially to newbies who doesn't know abt this at all and its taken as the truth
Old 06-06-2005, 11:33 PM   #47
kagemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keane
where got so many lousy "cannot make it" XB to label as HBRTG?...

probably becos of the bro mydusof hgrtg...

Old 06-06-2005, 11:35 PM   #48
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagemaru
where got so many lousy "cannot make it" XB to label as HBRTG?...

probably becos of the bro mydusof hgrtg...
in the first place , how can anyone even grade a juvenile xback as a "cannot make it" XBack unless he already seen the parent fish and hv doubts
Old 06-06-2005, 11:43 PM   #49
XRTG
Endangered Dragon

Default think about it.

just a tought. please don't take it seriously.

if i am a farmer and i can show you guys that my rtg pond has xb brooders, would you buy my so called hiback rtg?

as a hobbist, since the F1 rtgs either turn out to look like xb or rtg why won't i take a small gamble and buy these rtg?

hobbist might gain an aro that has xb qualities and paid a very small sum for it. or hobbist gets an rtg. so hobbist has nothing to loose and much more to gain.

farmer has much to gain as his rtg sales would increase. remember....not many hobbist can afford an xb. rtg still command a bigger market share when compared to xb or red. is it not a small price to pay to just throw in a few xb to improve sales?

dun flame me hor.......
Old 06-06-2005, 11:49 PM   #50
PeeCeeBee
Dragon

Hypothesis case :-

If i'm a farm owner and i have ponds of XB and ponds of RTG that did not breed after sometimes, i will feel the pressure and i might do something crazy hehehe... no breeding means no fish.....no fish means no sales....no sales means no money.....no money means close shop

One question for all to contribute :-

what do you get if you cross breed a good XB with a Green aro? what you do think the offspring should look like?

options :-

a) look exactly like XB and comes with better shine
b) looks very shinny and golden but no rims
c) looks like XB with rims and with green aro tail and horse shoe markings
d) become 1.5 gold

don't flame me hor.....just have some crazy thoughts cos i'm still very new