Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 01-03-2005, 11:47 PM   #11
archie2000

workshop: diy coil de-nitrator
time n date: 10.30am, Sunday 13th Mar 2005
venue: Tom32 house
Faber Ave
Near Clementi, Beside Jalan Lempeng

confirm coming and building the diy de-nitrator
1. archie2000
2. liquidnoise
3. Tom32
Old 02-03-2005, 12:02 AM   #12
ken_yg

Default Will it work?

It is good to see some interest here in building a coil denitrator.
Not to dampen the spirit here, think it will be good to know some figures before one go about copying an old design here which may need some improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archie2000
16. Adjust the air valve at the outlet air tube and let the water flow at a rate of one drop per second.
Above flowrate will produce 60 drops of water per min, 3600 drops per hour or 86400 drops per day or 8640g (10 drops approx 1 g) or about 8.64 litres of nitrate free water/day or about 1.79 % of 5' tank water (85% full ).

See what I mean? If above figure is right, think it will not ..........
Old 02-03-2005, 12:25 AM   #13
archie2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_yg
It is good to see some interest here in building a coil denitrator.
Not to dampen the spirit here, think it will be good to know some figures before one go about copying an old design here which may need some improvement.

Above flowrate will produce 60 drops of water per min, 3600 drops per hour or 86400 drops per day or 8640g (10 drops approx 1 g) or about 8.64 litres of nitrate free water/day or about 1.79 % of 5' tank water (85% full ).

See what I mean? If above figure is right, think it will not ..........
thks ken for the superb calculation and keeping in focus. lets say 2% of nitrate free water everyday and tat will be 28% of nitrate free water every 2 weeks. which is equivalent to 30% water change every 2 weeks. tat will work out to be a great saving. another assumption is tat the de-nitrator starts operating at a negligible nitrate tank water. tat means we need to do constant and frequent water change before the de-nitrator starts coping with the nitrate load. tat also help to explain why initially we need to "feed" the anearobic bacteria to colonize. thks again for the chance to explain further. it may be old design but its serving me very well .
Old 02-03-2005, 12:31 AM   #14
ken_yg

Talking

Quote:
thks ken for the superb calculation and keeping in focus. lets say 2% of nitrate free water everyday and tat will be 28% of nitrate free water every 2 weeks. which is equivalent to 30% water change every 2 weeks. tat will work out to be a great saving. another assumption is tat the de-nitrator starts operating at a negligible nitrate tank water. tat means we need to do constant and frequent water change before the de-nitrator starts coping with the nitrate load. tat also help to explain why initially we need to "feed" the anearobic bacteria to colonize. thks again for the chance to explain further. it may be old design but its serving me very well .
I changed more than 20 litres of water daily, & at least one 25% water change each week, & yet nitrate is usually above 40 ppm. To rid of the remainder 40ppm, think how much water change I must do each day?
Old 02-03-2005, 12:32 AM   #15
chua_jacky

Smile

Pls add me in for the Diy .....

Quote:
Old 02-03-2005, 12:48 AM   #16
archie2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_yg
I changed more than 20 litres of water daily, & at least one 25% water change each week, & yet nitrate is usually above 40 ppm. To rid of the remainder 40ppm, think how much water change I must do each day?
hmmm... i'm trying to help u analyze your water problem here. saw your gallery. r u referring to your large ST comm with pebbles base tank.

sometimes it depends on feeding, tank mates and setup. mine is ok with just one de-nitrator. some bros here got 2 de-nitrators running and happy with the result.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:50 AM   #17
archie2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chua_jacky
Pls add me in for the Diy .....
done bro!

Faber Ave

1. archie2000
2. liquidnoise
3. Tom32
4. chua_jacky
Old 02-03-2005, 10:47 PM   #18
alvin24

Quote:
done bro!

Faber Ave

1. archie2000
2. liquidnoise
3. Tom32
4. chua_jacky
bro... i am also interested ...can add me in also?
Old 02-03-2005, 11:08 PM   #19
archie2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin24
bro... i am also interested ...can add me in also?
sure bro.

Faber Ave

1. archie2000
2. liquidnoise
3. Tom32
4. chua_jacky
5. alvin24
Old 03-03-2005, 04:11 AM   #20
Vetduck

Hi Andrew,

I've made mine, but it's leaking from the base of the inlet & outlet valves. Will have to try patch that up with some glue. I'll sign up for it as well. Hopefully will be on a Sun I'm off. I do own your uncle a visit to his place.