Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 06-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
sapiloncat80

Default New Setup of Planted Goldfish tank

this is my first thread.... feel free to comment yo...

after almost 2 years having a 5ft planted tank with hundreds of small fish, pleco, shrimp. recently buy 3 Gf and put in inside. next 2 days 1 Gf die. the other 2 left look so weak just dun wan to swim. just release that my Gf cannot fight with my guppy when eating food. Gf always run away as for the guppy that snap everything.

so decided to make my own Planted Goldfish tank

D-6... googling for more info....
1. many thread here says cannot put Gf with plant... they will eat all the plant. but still tank without plant to me is dead tank (even though with fish ). what plant is better ?

2. create tank with plant means that we need to put sand below. heard that Gf also might eat the sand and choke => afraid it will be die. should I use medium gravel instead of sand ?

3. Plant = need CO2 unless moss type. but Gf need many O2. is it OK for Gf ?

4. I am planning to use ext canister (more tidy and easy maintenance). read also that canister no good for Gf coz it stockpile nitrat and amonia inside. to solve it also to add more O2 inside like air bubble and place the inflow water higher than water level. is it correct ?

5. after reading bro blackgf thread : <sorry cannot paste the link>
waks... so difficult to have a Gf tank... so many disease... and need coral reel gravel to filter the water... is it really necesssary or only when ur gf got disease then u do that ?

please guide me all the Gf shifu and bros...

tonight start to hunting all the equipment.... wish me luck guys

cheers....
Old 06-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Hansreef

Default Wall pic

Hi, what you have written are true for GF tank. What I do is paste a nice background picture of plants and bare bottom tank. I feed sinking pellets so no sand bed for my tank. In the long run, easier to maintain as all the poos and uneaten foods stuck in the sand will cause more problems and diseases.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
goalkeeper

good luck, bro. sounds like you're trying to have best of both worlds!!
Old 13-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
ChengAun

i prefer bare tanks for gf's
Old 14-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #5
TOFUUUUUU
Dragon

Bro, gf with plants really doesnt go well. Your plants will be eaten. Not impossible, but you can try

Having gravel below will cause trouble for your goldfish during feeding time if you're feeding sinking pellet.

Just my 2 cents
TOFUUUUUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
dragonhart
Dragon

Smile

hi,

did u quarantine your GF before adding into the planted tank?
during the first week of purchase, GF maybe unstable so need to keep seperately till stable....greedily asking for food and eating....no visible signs of illness.

i have tried common goldfish(feeder types) in a planted tank. soft and leafly types probably gets eaten...i had luck with Amazon swords and vals...like grass, propagate by runners one. Other bros had tried ranchus...seems ok...some plants get eaten up....so dun buy expensive plants...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapiloncat80 View Post

after almost 2 years having a 5ft planted tank with hundreds of small fish, pleco, shrimp. recently buy 3 Gf and put in inside. next 2 days 1 Gf die. the other 2 left look so weak just dun wan to swim. just release that my Gf cannot fight with my guppy when eating food. Gf always run away as for the guppy that snap everything.

1. many thread here says cannot put Gf with plant... they will eat all the plant. but still tank without plant to me is dead tank (even though with fish ). what plant is better ?

2. create tank with plant means that we need to put sand below. heard that Gf also might eat the sand and choke => afraid it will be die. should I use medium gravel instead of sand ?

4. I am planning to use ext canister (more tidy and easy maintenance). read also that canister no good for Gf coz it stockpile nitrat and amonia inside. to solve it also to add more O2 inside like air bubble and place the inflow water higher than water level. is it correct ?

waks... so difficult to have a Gf tank... so many disease... and need coral reel gravel to filter the water... is it really necesssary or only when ur gf got disease then u do that ?

cheers....
dragonhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
dragonfly_sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapiloncat80 View Post

cheers....
Hi Bro, first off let me hazard a guess why your goldfish didn't do well in your planted tank. Generally planted tanks have much lower pH compared to goldfish tank. So when you buy your goldfish, you put them in and they suffer a pH shock, after about half a day they will look sian sian like that.

And you've underestimated the humble goldfish, if they are in top form, there is no way your guppy is going to take away any food from it. Maybe even your guppy and shrimps will become food for the goldfish Your doesn't seems to be in a good state at the moment.

Next, yes you can have a planted goldfish tank but it does look abit strange, trust me........ done that. But it does has it benefit. Nana is one of the most recommended for goldfish, windelove and java fern is the other tougher ones that can tahan the goldfish. These two plant don't need CO2, so you don't have that problem.

Yes you can use canister but trust me they are a pain to wash. What I do is use multi-filtration. A HOF for mechnical ie. waste and un-eaten food and a canister with filtered intake (fill with Eheim Substrate and CR) for biological.

I do have a stack of small coral chips in my canister to help buffer the water, it's best to keep pH above 7 when keeping goldfish. No the coral chip are not for disease prevention.

Like all fishes, the art of keeping goldfish is the art of keeping good quality water. If you can maintain that, you'll have no problem with your goldfish. Screw up pH and Nitrogen and you'll better start open a pharmacy
Old 22-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
sapiloncat80

Hi bros... some update.

after 2 weeks of cycling my tank and 1 weeks to testing put in pleco and guppy. I see my plant is growing new leaf.

last week I start to move my last fish standing at my 5ft tank bubble eye gf to new tank. it feed normally to my floating food for guppy. then i decide to add more gf.

last saturday got to C328, so confidently buy 8 more Gf (3 oranda, 2 pearlscale, 2 lionhead, 1 black ranchu). when choosing food I take the floating round pellet. reach home just found out that the new gf is way to big compare than my old one.

found out also 1 oranda fin is injured in 1 side, so 1st time put he won't swin. upside down (sian...). then I start to change my canister outlet to tank with spray type to create more and more O2 and put in 1 air pump.

other problem, the food that I buy is too big for my small gf to feed. and my gf don't want to eat the food. (starting to get frustated with Gf...).
lucky I got my floating food for guppy, feed it and gf want to eat...

day 2, surprisingly they start to eat the floating food. and the injured Gf start to swim normally. I guess that he got train-sick with traveling from c328 to bedok .
even though the fin still injured. (more morale now to keep gf).

day 4, all my german moss gone (gf ate them all). my tank water became cloudy.... think is it because of too much uneaten food or the poo-poo to many ? then I change 50% water with my 5ft tank water. the water clean again.

day 5, again... water become cloudy.... sian... then clean with canister. see filter cloth is not so dirty. and 1 of my pearlscale bye-bye... night time I see the lionhead is attacking my pearlscale (so bad fish). 2 hour later he also bye-bye. (really really frustated to have Gf now...)

help me bro.... some questions :
1. what do you think the cause of my water easily cloudy ? I use 2ft tank and cannister for 3 ft. because of to much uneaten food or the poo-poo ?
2. what is the best food to give ? round pellet, flakes, floating or sink ? mind to tell me the brand also (initial should be fine).
3. does Gf cannot be mix ? is it normal that gf attack other kind if they are smaller ?
4. does gf need a lot lot of O2, water flow (stagnant or circulate) ?
5. feeding time / day ? less or more then the fish can eat ?

many many thanks... sorry still cannot upload pic... not enough post yet.
Old 22-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #9
goalkeeper

bro, from the size of the tank and no. of fish, i think your bioload is high....also your tank not cycled enough therefore water is not clear. not sure what's the size of your gf but even if they are small, 8 seems too much for a 2 ft.
Old 22-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #10
UnSun

Hey Bro, please excuse me for being too direct. You cannot keep fish like that. Firstly you must learn to manage your water correctly, then fish stocking level and feeding techniques.( 3 very basic knowledge one must know) 2 weeks of cycling is not enough that's why your water is cloudy and most probably your ammonia level has evaluated and became toxic. Your 2 ft tank is only suitable for 1 fish. (please google fishless cycle) Your situation is made worst by adding so many fish , feeding too much and also using wrong type of food.
Your setup is heading for a disaster unless, you do 100% w/c daily to improve water quality, stop feeding, reduce fish numbers, buy test kit for checking Ammonia and Nitrite and PH. Also don't clean your canister too often. Do it only when you see the water output has drop about 30% (usually 6-8weeks) and must wash only with aquarium water inorder to protect your BB in your canister.
Good luck.

Tags
goldfish, planted, setup, tank