Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 21-06-2009, 01:20 AM   #351
atom

[QUOTE=Bryan;6972327]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
You can diy a small tee off from the main pump to the denitrator with a valve attached to control the flowrate.

QUOTE]Boss..Do u have any picture spare with me
Will try to provide couple of days time. Lazy to draw now.
Old 21-06-2009, 01:44 AM   #352
Bryan
Dragon

[QUOTE=atom;6972335]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post

Will try to provide couple of days time. Lazy to draw now.
okie bro....
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 01:56 PM   #353
fishlove
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
Why not? The best kept secret in fish keeping is to have diversity.
Thanks for the encouragement bro! I understand that aquatic plants prefer ammonia and nitrite than nitrate. By limiting ammonia it will mean lesser nitrate for dinitrifying. Here's my crazy thought;

1. Get a 6x2.5x2.5 tank with sump.
2. Attach 2 pumps; a smaller and larger ones for sump tank.
3. Plant moderately with easy care, high growth, high nutrient uptake plants such as hydrilla or Difformis.
4. Sand bed to create more area for nitrying bacteria to cultivate.
5. During photosynthesis period, engage the smaller pump to slow down water flow to almost a halt. this is to prevent excessive CO2 loss. Use larger pump at other times.
4. Run Denitrator at all times controlled by ORP. In view of the plants uptake of ammonia, the denitrator should be of smaller scale in view of the reduced nitrate.

Can? Any other things to consider?
fishlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:20 AM   #354
TS70
Dragon

Default dymax denitrator

i am using dymax denitrator for quite a while...however realised that the circulating pump was unable to get water into the denitrator...not sure what's the cause? have changed the internal tubing as well as the external...even washed the pump...but water would just travel 3/4 way and stop...some kind of air-lock....

anyone using this brand had experienced this? what can i do?

i know i can use another pump to get water into the denitrator but can i off the re-circulating pump? only use the external pump to get water in? meaning no re-circulating inside the denitrator...

any advice would be appreciated...thanks
TS70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #355
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS70 View Post
i am using dymax denitrator for quite a while...however realised that the circulating pump was unable to get water into the denitrator...not sure what's the cause? have changed the internal tubing as well as the external...even washed the pump...but water would just travel 3/4 way and stop...some kind of air-lock....

anyone using this brand had experienced this? what can i do?

i know i can use another pump to get water into the denitrator but can i off the re-circulating pump? only use the external pump to get water in? meaning no re-circulating inside the denitrator...

any advice would be appreciated...thanks
The re-circulatng pump is crucial and thus cannot off.
Old 29-09-2009, 05:49 PM   #356
starting out

Hi bro atom. how has your dentrator been going? can you please post up a over view of your findings?
Great info and thanks
Old 29-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #357
rtgaroaro
Dragon

Dear Bro Atom,

if there is an blooming case of anaerobic bacteria, what would be the solution to treat it? Need to do total maintainence? Will it dissolve off by itself?

if using 2 units of NR1000, would it be best to connect in series run by 1 pump source or seperate performance?

Can GAC greatly eliminate hydrogen sulphite since its bad for health?

How effective is liquid "A-Z NO3" solution for freshwater? During the process of dosing (if it takes weeks) no water change supposed to be involved?

thanks for yr write-ups, learning a lot more.

Last edited by rtgaroaro; 29-09-2009 at 05:58 PM.
rtgaroaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #358
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtgaroaro View Post
Dear Bro Atom,

if there is an blooming case of anaerobic bacteria, what would be the solution to treat it? Need to do total maintainence? Will it dissolve off by itself?

if using 2 units of NR1000, would it be best to connect in series run by 1 pump source or seperate performance?

Can GAC greatly eliminate hydrogen sulphite since its bad for health?

How effective is liquid "A-Z NO3" solution for freshwater? During the process of dosing (if it takes weeks) no water change supposed to be involved?

thanks for yr write-ups, learning a lot more.
The best method to treat over blooming of anaerobic bacteria is to reduce feeding. If you are using deniballs, reduce the qty.

I prefer separate as I could maintain it individually.

Yes. Gac can remove hydrogen sulphite. Alternatively, you can gass it off using heavy aeration.

I never believe in those products (to remove NO3) that introduce directly to water.
Old 30-09-2009, 11:57 AM   #359
rtgaroaro
Dragon

thanks for your reply bro. any recommendation of brand on GAC?
the AZ NO3 solution is what use for marine tank as i was told, trying out on freshwater with denitrator sets incorporated.
rtgaroaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #360
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtgaroaro View Post
thanks for your reply bro. any recommendation of brand on GAC?
the AZ NO3 solution is what use for marine tank as i was told, trying out on freshwater with denitrator sets incorporated.
For marine setup especially those with many live rocks n also dsb, dosing carbon base mixture will trigger more denitrification activity.

For our typical tropical feshwater setup, this will not be so.

I am using AquaMedic carbolit.