Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 06-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #11
KLochhead

The Ph was a bit high, but every person I talked to and information that I read said not to drastically change it. I researched more and found out that driftwood would change it slowly, but that I needed to soak it for the night prior to placing it in. How do you suggest changing the PH with out using the chemicals?

I do write a diary, when they are delicate fish like this. I also read that a higher PH was actually better when dealing with fin rot, did I possibly read incorrectly?
Old 06-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #12
XRTG
Endangered Dragon

I think your problem is the ghost knife in your tank. =) looks more like your aro was bullied to death.
XRTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #13
rocfreaks

bro, where you buy your black arowana?

I'm looking for one ley... but i go here and there check the LFS, don't have.

Care to share where you bought it?
Old 06-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #14
finclk
Dragon

TS sounds and writes like a foreigner.. doesn't seem local. TS, can you tell us more aobut urself?

aros.. when you first buy them.. at the first sign of trouble, immediately take notice and action. U shd hv separated them immediately. Don't have to keep feeding. If you are unwell, mostly u dun feel like eating also rite? No point...
finclk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #15
KLochhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by aro_craze View Post
actually, hard to say. since u said the aro started eating a few days later after acclimating in ur tank, i guess its doing fine. only after dat did the aro lose appetite. i know u r angry n sad becuz of the lost, but u need to understand how it went? lfs did give a good advise when he said to separate the week one frm being bullied further, n to add yellow powder to the sick fish, its like an antiseptic to ward off any infections.

how long did u cycle ur water bro?
I see... She probably would not have eaten if she was sick. It just seemed so very fast

My other two are fine right now. The silver who had jumped out has fully healed. Neither are showing any aggression, yet. And they are both eating very well. I must make a decision immediately as to whether to have a comm tank or two singles.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:23 PM   #16
CLLIU

Brother

Sorry for your lost...totally understandable..

I too lost the following over the last 4 weeks the following :
- one majestic supreme red (valued at $1688) due to submitted sbp or microchip tag. swollen back and died 3-4 days later
- one grade 2 red jump put of my fgt. Died too
- 2 silver arowana bitten and bullied by my fire red. Fins and body suffer bruises and died due to excessive bacteria infections. Worst, bodied savage by tin foil barb and reduced it to almost skeletons.

That the results of me experimenting comm tank and failed at first few attempts..

Now, get better with 1 super red, 1 rtg, 1 hi-back rtg, 1 silver and 1 pearl, 1 fire-red...seem ok with less fights.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:30 PM   #17
fatthumb
Senior Dragon

Sorry for your loss bro Did you cycle your tank before introducing the aros?
fatthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:31 PM   #18
autumnspecial
Dragon

bTW TS where is the LFS you got your aros from i need some Black too,thanks.
autumnspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:01 AM   #19
QAE8687

Sorry about your lost bro... But... Wow! How on earth to determine a baby aro's sex at such a young and small size?!
Old 10-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #20
KLochhead

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of the responses...

I purchased my blacks at a LFS in Calgary, AB, Canada. There were 5-6, now 0.

I did cycle my tank, with fish, for a month prior. I think that is okay?

My black male appears to be getting sick now as well. Romeo did not eat this evening, and is swimming too close to the top, with rapid breathing.

I have put a divider in the tank immediately upon noticing. I have added an additional bubbler to add oxygen to the tank.

I still have the same yellow powder that the LFS gave me, as my little Juliet had died prior to using the second treatment. Should I use that?

Should Romeo be moved right out of the tank? I have a 120 gallon, fully cycled, currently housing an oscar. Oscar is a very strong fish, and could easily survive in my 55 gallon for a long time, just not comfortably.

Should I turn down my filter? I hear sometimes high water flow may stress out my fish.

I did a water change today, figured that I better do it while he is still healthy. Prior to doing so, ammonia had just registered, and same with nitrates. Now ammonia is zero, nitrates are 0.1.

My PH is still 7.4... is this dangerous? Is this what could be killing my fish? I read one place that it should be between 6.5 and 7.0, I hear elsewhere that it should be between 7.0 and 7.4.

My fish has no signs of being bullied - no scales are missing, fins are fine.

Please help me do the right thing for my baby!

Tags
arowana, baby, eating, fin rot, sick