Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 03-01-2007, 04:42 PM   #1
bluescorpion93

Default ADA soil

hi bros, just wanted to find out more about ADA soil. Can tell me the disadvantages and advantages of using it. Another thing is how much does lfs sell ADA soil? thx
Old 03-01-2007, 04:46 PM   #2
the_r0ck

ADA reduce pH and KH and contains elements (CEC) so that it actually can be used without a base fertilizer (though if you want to you can, especially with ADA Powersand as the base fert but it is much more expensive). ADA Amazona contains more CEC than Africana and Malayan.

Its not nice to ask for prices directly on the internet, but I can tell you that after a change in agent, the price has generally gone past $40 per 9 liter pack. Some sell a dollar or two cheaper than others but its roughly the same everywhere.

-Calvin
Old 03-01-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
caroland

Default disavantage of ADA

Need paitience!!!!
cos water will be super cloudy no matter how u pour.

took me 3 weeks to get crystal clear water.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
bluescorpion93

oh ok. did not know tat they were so mant different types.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
bluescorpion93

wow,roland, need so long ar.. haha. .need patience
Old 03-01-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
the_r0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescorpion93 View Post
oh ok. did not know tat they were so mant different types.
Well, not alot of people might have the ADA catalogue so here are stuff from the ADA Catalogue for 2006 on the 3 types of substrates, I don't know if other webbies have it, but I'll just type it out here:

Amazonia

Corrosion acid abundant in natural black color promotes growth of aquatic plants. Organic elements inside the soil helps aquatic plants grow well, and also have an effect of lowering PH and hardness of water

Malaya

Yellow color tone Malaya creates an aquascape of natural atmosphere. Its soft granules is suitable for the aquarium layout for maintaining for a long period.

Africana

Red baked soil creates the image of tropical rain forest. Granule is relatively hard, and it is easy to handle, compared to Amazonia and Malaya. As organic element is low compared to Amazonia, plants grow slow in Africana soil.

All grammatical errors is from source. Those of you who have it will know that the language is a little quirky due to the translation.

-Calvin

Last edited by the_r0ck; 03-01-2007 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
carlfsk

If you pour water really slowly, maybe pour slowly on a plastic bag laid on the gravel to spread the water pressure, the tank won't be cloudy at all.

This is what I like about ADA. Lapis also good, won't cloud water.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
carlfsk

Hey Calvin, any idea which ADA soil will bring down the PH lowest? By how much?
Old 03-01-2007, 05:33 PM   #9
the_r0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlfsk View Post
Hey Calvin, any idea which ADA soil will bring down the PH lowest? By how much?
I seriously have no idea, I have only used Amazonia. Anyway the pH/KH reducing effect doesn't last very long. Some quoted a year while generally its about 18 months max. After 6 months the strength will reduce and your pH/KH should rise slowly.

-Calvin
Old 03-01-2007, 05:40 PM   #10
carlfsk

Thanks Calvin. Cos slowly into apisto, finding out the various ways to bring down the PH.