Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 17-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
the_r0ck

Default STS: Things good to have for a planted tank

STS stands for "Stuff to share". Ha.

This is not an article or sorts so I just post it here. I sometimes have people asking me what things does one need to have when one has a planted tank? Here are just the main stuff I use for my planted tank and I am sure some of you have some good tips on what stuff will aid aquascapers. Anyway here it goes.

Scissors

Underrated. Everyone has a pair but not everyone tries to get a good pair. A good pair of scissors will help greatly in trimming off your plants and a bad pair will be unconfortable to use and difficult to trim with.

I use a pair of SS (stainless steel) scissors with an angled tip. This gives greater flexibility in trimming off the tips of plants, especially short plants as it is difficult to angle around.

Pincers

Piners should be a tool that everyone should use. Using your fingers to plant your flora will cause alot of problems, for example causing unnecessary disturbance of the substrate, the plants not anchored well and causing other plants to be uprooted.

I use 2 different pairs, a long and short one. Gives you more flexibility as certain situations will call for different lengths to be used. Prices are pretty cheap and they usually come bundled with the scissors. Go take a look around.

Measuring spoons

These are common measuring spoons used for bakery and the likes. I got the one with 4 different measurements to help in dosing dry fertilizer powder. You can also use it to skim off the protein layer but you need patience. I tried for a 1.5 footer but gave up after a while.

Syringes

Now this is good for precise measurements and dosage of liquid fertilizers. They are precise and very cheap. Go to any Guardian or similar stores and you will find them stacked on the shelves. I personally use one specific syringe for individual liquids and label them accordingly. It may be a little anal but I prefer not to mix. Also they can be used to direct any medications you want to dose, Excel for example, is one where you should use a syringe to shoot unto the BBA directly.
Old 17-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
the_r0ck

Cups and pipettes

This is used for measurements that need not be very specific. I use this for trace doses as well as general usage.

Credit Cards or similar

This may sound weird but its a good tool to scrape off things off your tank walls, equipment and hardscape. Get an expired card (or other cards you have no more need for) and just use it to scrape anything you want. They are much more gentle then metallic scrappers and they cost virtually nothing.

I used to use a ruler as it is longer and is supposedly more efficient, but I am not able to handle it really well. I still recommend the credit card.

Pump (Manual)

Some of you would have seen this. I used the hand pump from Daiso which costs $2 and its pretty big and handy. This is good for removing unsightly debris as well as using to clear up thick foliage. For the latter, I used it primarily to "blow" at the moss I used to have in my tank. As moss (or any plant, basically) gets thicker, they have a tendency to trap debris amongst them and this can cause problems. Mainly during WC, I just use the pump to blow across the moss and siphon the trapped debris out.

This list is just what I use. I (and I am sure alot of other people) am very sure that alot of you have some neat tricks and tips. I hope you can add on to this thread, try attaching pictures if you can. It will help.

PS: Sorry for my crappy pics.

-Calvin
Old 17-01-2007, 10:09 PM   #3
cardinal
Dragon

Thanks so much for sharing. Great pics. To add on, for tweezers, I prefer the bent tweezers. I think they are somewhat easier to use. Just my opinion.
cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2007, 10:37 PM   #4
dorothy76

where can buy these stuff
  Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 17-01-2007, 10:50 PM   #5
johnny_fantics

LOL. becareful bro, still can read the credit card number even if reverse. Heng expired one.. Excellent info!

John
Old 17-01-2007, 11:07 PM   #6
ah_hong84

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorothy76 View Post
where can buy these stuff
Hahaa, you can buy them in almost all of the LFS. Just ask the uncle for it.
Old 17-01-2007, 11:56 PM   #7
the_r0ck

Tweezers, Scissors are found in the LFS.

Measuring spoons and the pump can be found in Daiso.

Syringes can be found in pharmecies like Guardian. Cups and pipette can be found at certain outlets.

Credit card? Go find your wallet lor.

-Calvin
Old 18-01-2007, 12:02 AM   #8
betta_zoid87
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_r0ck View Post
Tweezers, Scissors are found in the LFS.

Measuring spoons and the pump can be found in Daiso.

Syringes can be found in pharmecies like Guardian. Cups and pipette can be found at certain outlets.

Credit card? Go find your wallet lor.

-Calvin
haha.. good answer!!
betta_zoid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2007, 12:07 AM   #9
reversebungee

hmm... would like to add on that, which ever card u use, make sure it is "water proof", not paper made.

for one, the EZ-link card is made of paper which many do not know. further more, EZ link card contains(wat i believe to be) carbon and copper inside them thus, may not be good for tanks.

my 2cents.
Old 18-01-2007, 01:18 AM   #10
ostrava

Mr Rock, thanks for sharing! Very helpful