Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 25-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #1
TVR

Default Changing your water - 100% change

Like to share the way I do my 100% water change. This tub I'm keeping inhouse with metal halide, wall algae. 1st of all, I will transfer the fish into a basin fill with original tub water.
Next, drain off tub's water and scrub away unwanted wall algae(this part, one can be very creative).
After refilling the tub, the basin will be left floating in there. I will start mixing tub's water into basin and get rid of the excess water. (Please note, I will never add basin water back into the tub). I normally will do that 3 times(interval of 10 - 15 mins) before I transfer fish back into water.
Once done, the MH will be switched on and as per normal, they will all run into their hiding place which is the center concave portion of tub?
When they begin to settle down, there they are, swimming freely, maybe happily in their tub!

Last edited by TVR; 30-09-2012 at 01:15 AM.
TVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
Aroboy II
AFC Member

Do you aged water?
Aroboy II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2007, 11:30 AM   #3
TVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroboy II View Post
Do you aged water?
Bro Aroboy,
Thanks for your question! I missed out this very important process.
I age water with Genesis anti-chlorine(round bottled type) and baking soda for my young fish. I don't practice that for the older fish.
So embarassing! Guess I just can't do proper write up like bro PP!
Old 25-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
peter porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR View Post
Bro Aroboy,
I age water with Genesis anti-chlorine(round bottled type) and baking soda for my young fish. I don't practice that for the older fish.
Bro TVR, what is the brand of metal halide lamp that you are using now and what are its specifications? I am now torn between keeping the pond and maintaining the tank at the same time, doing away with the pond and just have the tank or have the tank but grow wall algae.

Still thinking because the reason I am keeping a tank again was to do away with the rental pond.

Anyway, would a PL set suffice for wall algae? I know it is sufficient for GW but I have not tried for wall algae yet.
Old 25-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #5
peter porker

Quote:
Bro Aroboy,
Bro TVR, are you hosting your pics through imageshack?

Anyway, great to see more 'life' in the GF forum and great to see more contributions through pictures! As the saying goes, a picture tells a thousand words!

Old 25-06-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
Sotong King

Quote:
Like to share the way I do my 100% water change. This tub I'm keeping inhouse with metal halide, wall algae. 1st of all, I will transfer the fish into a basin fill with original tub water.
Next, drain off tub's water and scrub away unwanted wall algae(this part, one can be very creative).
After refilling the tub, the basin will be left floating in there. I will start mixing tub's water into basin and get rid of the excess water. (Please note, I will never add basin water back into the tub). I normally will do that 3 times(interval of 10 - 15 mins) before I transfer fish back into water.
Once done, the MH will be switched on and as per normal, they will all run into their hiding place which is the center concave portion of tub?
When they begin to settle down, there they are, swimming freely, maybe happily in their tub!
The way you mow the algae is very interesting and colourful. I don't have this algae for my pond as I scrubbed clean during water change.
Old 25-06-2007, 12:13 PM   #7
Sotong King

Quote:
Why the basin water is never return back to the pond?
Old 25-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
TVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter porker View Post
Bro TVR, what is the brand of metal halide lamp that you are using now and what are its specifications? I am now torn between keeping the pond and maintaining the tank at the same time, doing away with the pond and just have the tank or have the tank but grow wall algae.

Still thinking because the reason I am keeping a tank again was to do away with the rental pond.

Anyway, would a PL set suffice for wall algae? I know it is sufficient for GW but I have not tried for wall algae yet.
Bro PP,
I'm using a Atman 150w X 2. I personally have not use PL before, but thru kakis set up, it can be done.
Old 25-06-2007, 12:37 PM   #9
TVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter porker View Post
Bro TVR, are you hosting your pics through imageshack?

Anyway, great to see more 'life' in the GF forum and great to see more contributions through pictures! As the saying goes, a picture tells a thousand words!

I'm down loading pics directly from my comp after resizing. Hope the pics really help?
Old 25-06-2007, 12:44 PM   #10
TVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotong King View Post
The way you mow the algae is very interesting and colourful. I don't have this algae for my pond as I scrubbed clean during water change.
I'm glad you like it. I don't have this algae too when I'm using green water!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotong King View Post
Why the basin water is never return back to the pond?
I'm maintaining wall algae in this tub, not green water. That's why I don't seed GW.