Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 25-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #1
boonpeiu

Unhappy Why CRS drop eggs

I was delighted to see one of my CRS carrying eggs 1 week ago, there were easily more than 20 eggs as i counted. But today, there is none left

I have seen eggs dropping off from the pregnant CRS, it will try to pick it up, but also seen it missed some.

Is this normal? How can I prevent/help CRS from dropping eggs? Will the drop off eggs still hatch?
Old 25-07-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
silane
Senior Dragon

stressful enviroment or bad water...
silane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
silane
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonpeiu View Post
I was delighted to see one of my CRS carrying eggs 1 week ago, there were easily more than 20 eggs as i counted. But today, there is none left

I have seen eggs dropping off from the pregnant CRS, it will try to pick it up, but also seen it missed some.

Is this normal? How can I prevent/help CRS from dropping eggs? Will the drop off eggs still hatch?
Dropped eggs can be saved if they are near hatching, I have not been sucessful to save "young" eggs but matured ones (once in a few try). The key is not to let fungus attack the eggs.
Old 26-07-2007, 12:05 PM   #4
boonpeiu

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silane View Post
stressful enviroment or bad water...
Ken, you are really a guru in this field

I think ammonia spike due to my rotten ricca base had cause a bad water condition. I have seen removed all ricca from tank and did 2 water change (20% yesterday, 35% today), I see shrimp start eating again. Luckily not casualties.

Think has to hold back on upgrading to higher grade, still have a lot to learn on keeping CRS.

So far I only monitor the PH level of my tank. Any good test kit/device for monitoring the ammonia and nitrite to recommend?
Old 27-07-2007, 01:44 AM   #5
silane
Senior Dragon

Hi,

I dont think those test kits available for hobbyists is good to detect ammonia or nitrite in this case. Your filter is continously taking care of the ammonia, it will be too mild to show up in color chart and it is capable of causing problem to the water. I believe it is something else beside ammonia or nitrite that cause the water bad, many times, when water is bad, the test kits just show good result.
Old 28-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
boonpeiu

Quote:
Hi,

I dont think those test kits available for hobbyists is good to detect ammonia or nitrite in this case. Your filter is continously taking care of the ammonia, it will be too mild to show up in color chart and it is capable of causing problem to the water. I believe it is something else beside ammonia or nitrite that cause the water bad, many times, when water is bad, the test kits just show good result.
Thanks Ken! That is what I think as well, I didn't brought when a LFS selling me 2 pack for price of 1 during close down sale.

Today, a kind bro here offer his CRS tank for me to view to have a first hand understanding on setting up a shrimp tank. I think my setup is to complex with wrong focus. I will redo me tank next few week.

I have no casualties so far, but they look stress. Hope I can give them a better environment after redo my tank.
Old 28-07-2007, 07:44 PM   #7
silane
Senior Dragon

ha, complexity kills the shrimps.

Just soil, driftwood, moss, canister filter, chiller and light, that's all you need to start a basic yet working tank for CRS, no need anything more unless you know what you are doing.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #8
eeeeemo

Quote:
ha, complexity kills the shrimps.

Just soil, driftwood, moss, canister filter, chiller and light, that's all you need to start a basic yet working tank for CRS, no need anything more unless you know what you are doing.
best post for newbies..

soil wood moss canister chiller n light.
cannot agree more..

most ppl start out they want the best equipments for crs.. but the best method to start out is to start out minimal.. with just the above basics.. spend more on the livestock and keep the tank simple.

Last edited by eeeeemo; 04-11-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:47 AM   #9
discusamatuer

Quote:
Dropped eggs can be saved if they are near hatching, I have not been sucessful to save "young" eggs but matured ones (once in a few try). The key is not to let fungus attack the eggs.
Very interesting. I have never tried hatching CRS eggs which have dropped. But IMO, base on what Silane mentioned, to prevent the CRS eggs from getting fungus attack. I will take the example of how discus prevent their eggs from fungus attack.

1) Have a continuous flow of water onto the eggs.
2) Water condition must not differ from its existing tank parameters. With sufficient filtration.

So probably I will guess we could transfer the eggs that has been dropped into a seperate tank with the same water with sufficient filtration and normal current flow.

Does it work this way, Silane?
Old 05-11-2007, 01:14 AM   #10
eeeeemo

how about using methyl blue??