Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 15-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
Xiaolong
Senior Dragon

Default DIY Heater Guard

Hi to everyone here, Now is raining seasons as water temp may drop. Know that alots of bros & sis here wanted to have heater in their tank but at the sametime also scare that yr ray or fish will touch the heater and got burn. I come out a very cheap and easy DIY Heater Guard to share here.

Firstly go hardware shop get a 25mm PVC pipe & PVC pipe cover according to yr heater lenght. Make marking on the pipe that you want to drill hole on it and mark out 2 holes that is just for sucking cap. For my piping hole is 8mm and 4mm for sucking cap. Once all holes is drill, place the sucking cap on the designated holes and thats about to 100% done. Lastly place the heater into the guard and then into yr tank. Picture below:

Total cost is less than $3 if hole is drill by yrself. If drill by hardware shop, should be less than $5.

*If you think my DIY sharing is good, pls upz me. Thank you in advance.
Xiaolong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
dermarko
AFC Member

That is a great innovative idea. Good to share your ideas..But for lazy people like me, I normally will place the heater near the powerhead outlet or just at the position where the air bubbles are coming out of the airstone. That will have some form circulation and thus the aros don't go too close there..
dermarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
Xiaolong
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dermarko View Post
That is a great innovative idea. Good to share your ideas..But for lazy people like me, I normally will place the heater near the powerhead outlet or just at the position where the air bubbles are coming out of the airstone. That will have some form circulation and thus the aros don't go too close there..
Thank you bro, just some easy DIY
Xiaolong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
rtgaroaro
Dragon

thanks for sharing bro, but got a question. heater will burn fishes, will it burn the plastic? once forgot to turn off when doing wc in the iso unit, water sucked dried, suddenly see heater emit smoke and burst! scary man. so now always turn off first.
rtgaroaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
BuWaC

Nice DIY bro, just one quick question, wiill it over heat?
Old 15-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
maxon88
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dermarko View Post
Bro I do agree with u.. Actually heater guard is only need for rays cos they will get burnt if the heater is left unprotected. So far i've not seen any other fishes who need a heater guard? Anyway, great DIY..
maxon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
craz
Endangered Dragon

bro interesting diy heater guard...
craz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #8
dermarko
AFC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaolong View Post
Thank you bro, just some easy DIY
Bro xiaolong, if you are using the PVC as a guard now, can let us know whether can it withstand the heat emitted by the heater? If it is high-grade PVC maybe can. I have ever accidentally touched the heater when it was on and am sure it was damn hot.
dermarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #9
octane
Endangered Dragon

what fishes you rearing? really the need for heater?

imo, your heater will overhead as water circulation is not good at all. there's no clearance from heater glass to pvc pipe. those few holes will only heat up minimal amount of water, bringing effectivness down by quite abit. if you really want to use pvc pipes, get a bigger diameter one, one that gives more clearance from heater to pipe. drill more holes as well.
octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #10
redbasser

Maybe more holes for improve water circulation & prevent overheating?
(Maybe even removing the end cap?)