Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Adv

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
globalcookie
Dragon
 
globalcookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,441
Rep Power: 8
globalcookie is a famous personalityglobalcookie is a famous personalityglobalcookie is a famous personalityglobalcookie is a famous personalityglobalcookie is a famous personalityglobalcookie is a famous personalityglobalcookie is a famous personalityglobalcookie is a famous personalityglobalcookie is a famous personalityglobalcookie is a famous personalityglobalcookie is a famous personality
Reputation: 3201
Default FAQ on Cherry, Sakura, Whatever Shrimps

Mods, this new FAQ looks very similar to the other thread "Common Topics on Shrimp Keeping". It just appears that the other topic are more targetted to CRS. If it is considered a repeat, I will copy it over to the other thread so that we don't get too long list here.

Since there are so frequent Q&A on Cherry/Sakuras, and some requirements are different from CRS, let's jot down a list of info for newbies.

1. My shrimps appear pale when lights are just on.
When shrimps (or even fishes) rest, their coloration will turn pale. Color will be restored after awhile.

2. Shrimps are Hiding.
When shrimps are newly introduced into the tank, it is new in an environment thus may go into hiding. They also goes into hiding when they felt intimidated, after molting, etc.

3. My shrimps are pregnant. How long is the term?
Most shrimps carry eggs for a duration of about 3-4 weeks before shrimplet hatches.

4. I can't spot my newly hatched shrimplets. OR they appear inactive.
Newly hatched shrimplets are very tiny and may not be easily spotted. During the first couple of days, they tends to be inactive, thus if they are in hiding, or among plants, it is very difficult to spot them.

5. Keeping Fishes (TIGER Barb, etc) with Shrimps.
Come on, if you want to keep shrimps, you don't keep fishes. Most fishes are unfriendly with shrimps. Either they starts eating up shrimplets, or their fast movements will intimidate the shrimps and shrimps may go into hiding. They may even attack shrimps after shrimps molted.

6. I want to mix Sulawasi with other shrimps (cherry/sakura/crs)
AT OWN RISK! If you are serious about shrimp keeping, you will keep a tank for one water perimeter range suitable for the shrimp, and another tank for other perimeter tolerant shrimps.

Sulawasi and most other shrimps are different in pH . Sulawasi requires higher pH (alkaline) while most others requires lower pH (acidic). If you want to experiment, give a thought to the lives in your care.
(hokkien saying, chor lang kiang lo ho, mai keh kiang.)

7. My shrimps are pregnant. Any special care?
Basically, leave them alone and they take care of themselves. If there are fishes in the tank (some pple keeps fishes w shrimps), remove it or your shrimplets will become dinner to the fishes. WRAP your water filter inlet or your shrimplets turns into minced shrimplets (and that is not funny. Be responsible).

8. Food for shrimps
Shrimps feed on micro-organism that is found in the tank and plants. Micro-organism are not visible to human's naked eyes thus we won't know if there are sufficient for the shrimps. Thus, there may be a need to feed them from time to time.

Get recommended shrimp food than the average fish food. Don't try to save on food. It is not expensive considering how much shrimps consume. Some have tried feeding BREAD for human consumption. Maybe humans can eat fish food too.

9. Plants
Moss are popular for shrimp keeping. Moss are low maintenance, requires no additional fertilizers, no CO2, no nothing.

10. Filters
It has often been mentioned, to use canister more than other types of filters. It is not a must, it is just highly popular. Canisters allows more space for filter media, canisters are enclose and usually darker (inside). That allows more condusive environment for benefitual bacterials (BB) to thrive. These BB are good at helping breakdown waste.

11. Water purifier system
Some have resorted to using water purifier to collect water for their fishes and shrimps. Water from tap are rather soft and lifeless. Using purifiers may be good to remove some metals or unwanted chemicals. It is not necessary to use a purifier anyway thus there is no need to invest in one.

12. Water (Aging, chlorine, chloramine
It is recommended to age the water and to use anti-chlorine/chloramine. Water from tap contains rather high chlorine/chloramine content. Aging helps to reduce chlorine but not chloramine. Another thing is, it is good to aerate the water.



AOB
Newbie questions?
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347180


There are many other info relevent to this topic but I shall not fill them in as I am not familar with it. Here is a small list of missing info and would be nice if anyone can provide REAL info (don't assume pls).
- Substrate
- pH level and water perimeters
- Temperature required

Please add on the URL (and use a subject title to the URL too) to other topics relevent to shrimp keeping. It will help people gather info before they embark into this passion. YES Passion! It is not a game when lives are concern thus please take good care of your shrimps.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #2
dennal
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

wow nice work
for point 9 I think they need fertilizers but is very low. which i can say Moss are low maintenance but not 'no additional fertilizers needs'.

9. Plants
Moss are popular for shrimp keeping. Moss are low maintenance, requires no additional fertilizers, no CO2, no nothing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon
 
EvolutionZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 8,566
Rep Power: 4
EvolutionZ has many friendsEvolutionZ has many friendsEvolutionZ has many friendsEvolutionZ has many friendsEvolutionZ has many friends
Reputation: 427
Default

no ferts needed for moss at all.. moss thrive well in just cold water and suitable lighting. ferts are like co2, just a booest for the moss.
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
dennal
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
no ferts needed for moss at all.. moss thrive well in just cold water and suitable lighting. ferts are like co2, just a booest for the moss.
Oh?? can u give me more detail on the tank setup (lighting, and water changing, base soil and newing setup tank or old tank), which U mean they dun not need ferts?
And one question if u dun add fert like iron will they turn abit yellow? (it happen to my moss when i nv add iron.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 02:13 AM   #5
mr.snuggles
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Mods, this new FAQ looks very similar to the other thread "Common Topics on Shrimp Keeping". It just appears that the other topic are more targetted to CRS. If it is considered a repeat, I will copy it over to the other thread so that we don't get too long list here.

Since there are so frequent Q&A on Cherry/Sakuras, and some requirements are different from CRS, let's jot down a list of info for newbies.

1. My shrimps appear pale when lights are just on.
When shrimps (or even fishes) rest, their coloration will turn pale. Color will be restored after awhile.

2. Shrimps are Hiding.
When shrimps are newly introduced into the tank, it is new in an environment thus may go into hiding. They also goes into hiding when they felt intimidated, after molting, etc.

3. My shrimps are pregnant. How long is the term?
Most shrimps carry eggs for a duration of about 3-4 weeks before shrimplet hatches.

4. I can't spot my newly hatched shrimplets. OR they appear inactive.
Newly hatched shrimplets are very tiny and may not be easily spotted. During the first couple of days, they tends to be inactive, thus if they are in hiding, or among plants, it is very difficult to spot them.

5. Keeping Fishes (TIGER Barb, etc) with Shrimps.
Come on, if you want to keep shrimps, you don't keep fishes. Most fishes are unfriendly with shrimps. Either they starts eating up shrimplets, or their fast movements will intimidate the shrimps and shrimps may go into hiding. They may even attack shrimps after shrimps molted.

6. I want to mix Sulawasi with other shrimps (cherry/sakura/crs)
AT OWN RISK! If you are serious about shrimp keeping, you will keep a tank for one water perimeter range suitable for the shrimp, and another tank for other perimeter tolerant shrimps.

Sulawasi and most other shrimps are different in pH . Sulawasi requires higher pH (alkaline) while most others requires lower pH (acidic). If you want to experiment, give a thought to the lives in your care.
(hokkien saying, chor lang kiang lo ho, mai keh kiang.)

7. My shrimps are pregnant. Any special care?
Basically, leave them alone and they take care of themselves. If there are fishes in the tank (some pple keeps fishes w shrimps), remove it or your shrimplets will become dinner to the fishes. WRAP your water filter inlet or your shrimplets turns into minced shrimplets (and that is not funny. Be responsible).

8. Food for shrimps
Shrimps feed on micro-organism that is found in the tank and plants. Micro-organism are not visible to human's naked eyes thus we won't know if there are sufficient for the shrimps. Thus, there may be a need to feed them from time to time.

Get recommended shrimp food than the average fish food. Don't try to save on food. It is not expensive considering how much shrimps consume. Some have tried feeding BREAD for human consumption. Maybe humans can eat fish food too.

9. Plants
Moss are popular for shrimp keeping. Moss are low maintenance, requires no additional fertilizers, no CO2, no nothing.

10. Filters
It has often been mentioned, to use canister more than other types of filters. It is not a must, it is just highly popular. Canisters allows more space for filter media, canisters are enclose and usually darker (inside). That allows more condusive environment for benefitual bacterials (BB) to thrive. These BB are good at helping breakdown waste.

11. Water purifier system
Some have resorted to using water purifier to collect water for their fishes and shrimps. Water from tap are rather soft and lifeless. Using purifiers may be good to remove some metals or unwanted chemicals. It is not necessary to use a purifier anyway thus there is no need to invest in one.

12. Water (Aging, chlorine, chloramine
It is recommended to age the water and to use anti-chlorine/chloramine. Water from tap contains rather high chlorine/chloramine content. Aging helps to reduce chlorine but not chloramine. Another thing is, it is good to aerate the water.



AOB
Newbie questions?
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347180


There are many other info relevent to this topic but I shall not fill them in as I am not familar with it. Here is a small list of missing info and would be nice if anyone can provide REAL info (don't assume pls).
- Substrate
- pH level and water perimeters
- Temperature required

Please add on the URL (and use a subject title to the URL too) to other topics relevent to shrimp keeping. It will help people gather info before they embark into this passion. YES Passion! It is not a game when lives are concern thus please take good care of your shrimps.
Hey i wanna ask bout the pregnant shrimp thing. You said to take them out if you're keeping them with fish?? But what if i have a breeding net?? Will that be equally effective?


Thanks,
Aaron
  Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 12:41 AM   #6
Stanlaw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I kept shrimps and fishes (3 types of tetra including cardina) together in 2 feet tank and the blue shrimps keep multipling. In nature environment, as long as there are enough place for the shrimps to hide, my personal view is no need to remove the fishes unless for breeding purposes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
DraVen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

not sure if i should post this here. but at least it's better than starting a new thread rite?

anyway some of my cherries just got pregnant, and they are staying high up on my BW. before they got pregnant, they are ok with staying in the foreground.

is this normal? are they trying to stay high and close to surface for some reasons? i asked this because my first pregnant cherry died during on the second day. she was spotted on the BW on the first day. i was thinking it was because the tank was new, and the tank was not properly cycled.

a month without pregnancy later, i saw eggs dangling on my BW on two seperate occasions, which later i quarrentined my boraras, as i feel that maybe the shrimps are not comfortable with them.

therefore after three failures, i decided i should get more opinion on my tank. currently my tank has a pH of around 6.2-6.6, ammonia level is low, and water temp is around 28.8. no other info on water perimeters are available.

my 1 foot tank onli have 8 cherries, java moss on BW, USF on wire mesh, 2 charcoal bamboo, old sea mud rock and a moss ball. running on a HOF.

thanx
  Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #8
Galatea
Arofanatic
 
Galatea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 461
Rep Power: 0
Galatea is neutral, pH7
Reputation: 17
Default

Hi draven, u can try increasing the aeration rate in your tank.
Galatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #9
DraVen
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post
Hi draven, u can try increasing the aeration rate in your tank.
thanx alot, i'll try to source for a air pump and sponge filter these few days. i'm not sure if i should continue with my daily dosage of excel though. did not dose today. a bit scared hahaa
  Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 08:44 PM   #10
globalcookie
Dragon
 
globalcookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,441
Rep Power: 8
globalcookie is a famous personalityglobalcookie is a famous personalityglobalcookie is a famous personalityglobalcookie is a famous personalityglobalcookie is a famous personalityglobalcookie is a famous personalityglobalcookie is a famous personalityglobalcookie is a famous personalityglobalcookie is a famous personalityglobalcookie is a famous personalityglobalcookie is a famous personality
Reputation: 3201
Default

Your pH is a bit on the low side. Cherries are more comfortable on the higher side, at abt 6.8-7.0pH. I am not saying it has to do with your situation where pregnant shrimps are staying high on BW but you may want to look at the pH
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Adv


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2008 Arofanatics.com (Since 30th August 2000)