Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 28-07-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
BettaCloud

Default Hydra-fied

Greetings to experienced hobbyists,

I would like to find out your method of removing hydra. Currently my tank is starting to be infested by hydra and everyday i'm seeing and removing 2-4 hydras manually by using a syringe/a tweezer. Are there any other methods to reduce hydra outbreak? I want to prevent it from becoming an outbreak or to even stop it.

Please share your opinions!

Thank you!
Old 28-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
PierceTan
Dragon

What i did last time was netting all the shrimps into a breeder box then add in puffer fish or dwarf gourami. There are other alternative like adding salt or increase temperature but you have to find place for your shrimps.
Maybe you want to take a look at this thread also http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...light=ramshorn
PierceTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
avex30

sorry to hear that bro i last try this nature way after using chemical warfare,Fish warfare,snail warfare. End up i do it the natural way heat warfare or more like room temp warfare.

1) I fish up all my shrimp to my Com tank.
2) I shut down all chiller and canister filter leaving only 1 sponge filter run by air pump
3) I notice the temp in the tank rose to about 30'C during day time. maintain thru the day until early evening which the temp dip to about 28'C
4) For 1 week the hydra reduce
5) 2nd week complete gone..... but i understand they might have left eggs in the soils.
6) So as advise i totally reset

That how i found out they can be get rid.
Old 28-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
fish11

Yup.. best method is to reset the whole tank. Use new soil and try using new plants if possible. U'll have to wash your tank, filter and media thoroughly. Next time before adding in new plants, quarantine them for a few days first.
Old 28-07-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
Koji™
Account Disabled

If the infestation is too serious, resetting the tank is the only choice.

If only 1 or 2 once in a while then just remove. I sometime also can spot 1 small hydra once in a blue moon. Just remove only.

Another way is to stop yourself from getting any shrimps in tanks which already have hydra.
Koji™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
gryphon
Arofanatic

Add galaxy fish... I think they help
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
BettaCloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by avex30 View Post
sorry to hear that bro i last try this nature way after using chemical warfare,Fish warfare,snail warfare. End up i do it the natural way heat warfare or more like room temp warfare.

1) I fish up all my shrimp to my Com tank.
2) I shut down all chiller and canister filter leaving only 1 sponge filter run by air pump
3) I notice the temp in the tank rose to about 30'C during day time. maintain thru the day until early evening which the temp dip to about 28'C
4) For 1 week the hydra reduce
5) 2nd week complete gone..... but i understand they might have left eggs in the soils.
6) So as advise i totally reset

That how i found out they can be get rid.
Lol bro, i already had it without chiller... That means my hydra quite able to tahan heat..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish11 View Post
Yup.. best method is to reset the whole tank. Use new soil and try using new plants if possible. U'll have to wash your tank, filter and media thoroughly. Next time before adding in new plants, quarantine them for a few days first.
I have not added any plants for months.. also dunno how it pop out of nowhere. cant capture the source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji™ View Post
If the infestation is too serious, resetting the tank is the only choice.

If only 1 or 2 once in a while then just remove. I sometime also can spot 1 small hydra once in a blue moon. Just remove only.

Another way is to stop yourself from getting any shrimps in tanks which already have hydra.
I bought it from amk pet boutique many months back, the boss's tanks are very clean. But yup, the hydra very very small, the tentacles are like hair algae that thin. But recently grow alot. So start to worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
Add galaxy fish... I think they help
Thanks! I will look for that! I have boraras x1 and oto x1, few nerite snails. Wonder if they help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierceTan View Post
What i did last time was netting all the shrimps into a breeder box then add in puffer fish or dwarf gourami. There are other alternative like adding salt or increase temperature but you have to find place for your shrimps.
Maybe you want to take a look at this thread also http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...light=ramshorn
Thanks bro, will try out ur method too! But as for ramshorn, i scare they reproduce. Very scary. 1 snail can fetch over hundred baby snails. Will look for panacur.

Thanks all! I will try out and see how it goes. Will it die of by itself since it hardly catches my shrimps or anything to feed on?

Last edited by BettaCloud; 28-07-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 28-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
gryphon
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaCloud View Post

Thanks! I will look for that! I have boraras x1 and oto x1, few nerite snails. Wonder if they help...
My 2 boraras help clear water fleas and worms but didnt't touch hydra. I saw just 1 small hydra in my tank and added 2 galaxy, the next day I cannot find the hydra anymore. As I didn't see my galaxy eat it up, I cannot confirm if it was eaten by galaxy. But some other bros mentioned before that galaxy do help eat hydras.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
lucas_1957
Dragon

Add golden pencilfish, can clear hydra and flatworms, after i added some pencilfishes to my tank, somehow i never ever saw a single hydra or flatworm after that.
lucas_1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 12:54 AM   #10
BettaCloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
My 2 boraras help clear water fleas and worms but didnt't touch hydra. I saw just 1 small hydra in my tank and added 2 galaxy, the next day I cannot find the hydra anymore. As I didn't see my galaxy eat it up, I cannot confirm if it was eaten by galaxy. But some other bros mentioned before that galaxy do help eat hydras.
I bought 5 galaxy already. they are more hardworking than boraras. will experiment it out. Thanks!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_1957 View Post
Add golden pencilfish, can clear hydra and flatworms, after i added some pencilfishes to my tank, somehow i never ever saw a single hydra or flatworm after that.
Gilden pencil fish?! I will google it and if hydra dont cut i will use that! Thanks!!!