Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum

Old 25-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
Sgguppylover
Arofanatic

Default Experiment 1 : Whether salt affects the activeness of your guppies

Hi guys , Sgguppylover here. I have recently conducted an experiment on whether salt will affect the activeness of your guppies. I bought two mosaic guppies which cost $0.50 each at a local fish shop recently.In one tank , i added two spoonful of salt to about 3 litres of water.In the other tank , it is salt-free. The salt i used is this type.[IMG][/IMG]

Videos On the mosaic guppy in salt-free tank:[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GahiHgnXN_o&feature=plcp[/YOUTUBE][YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAx8o...hannel&list=UL[/YOUTUBE]

Videos On the mosaic guppy in water with salt added tank:[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuSzi...hannel&list=UL[/YOUTUBE][YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOkZk...hannel&list=UL[/YOUTUBE]
Sgguppylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
Sgguppylover
Arofanatic

Photos of fish in salt water :[IMG][/IMG]

I observed these two fishes for 2 days already. The fish in the saltwater tank is not doing as well as the fish in the salt-free tank.You can see that the picture shows the guppy in the saltwater not active and just stopping there.Therefore , in conclusion , i find that it is better to keep guppies in water without salt.Also , any experts can advice if you find this experiment inappropriate.
Old 26-08-2012, 12:09 AM   #3
vannel

Just wondering.. Why did you think salt would have made them more active? I think most people resort to using aquarium salt only on their quarantine tanks as salt works well against some common parasites. Even then, salt baths are not meant to be long term.
Old 26-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
wilsonguppy
Arofanatic

I believe that the reason for the fish to be more active in normal water is mainly due to guppies belong to the freshwater species. This means that it needs to keep on removing salts from its body to the water around it to keep itself in equilibrium. However, when salt is added in, a reserve osmosis happens. The water around the guppy has higher concentration value, and more water is taken into the guppy body rather than removing it from the body. However, on the other hand, a marine fish has lesser salt content in its body, so meaning it needs to take in salted water around it to keep itself in equilibrium.

Perhaps, a small amount of salt is beneficial as it helps to combat minor diseases.
wilsonguppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
Sgguppylover
Arofanatic

Bro vannel, i didn't think that salt will make guppies more active.Salt is mainly used i medications but guppies come from brackish water with some salt.So the aim of this experiment is to determine whether salt should be added into a guppy tank or not?.My answer will be a no from this experiment.
Old 26-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #6
Sgguppylover
Arofanatic

Bro wilsonguppy, I initially wanted to just add a little bit like just a pinch but i wondered like a pinch of salt doesn't affect salinity of water much so i added more to see a clearer picture and deaw more accurate results.Ya, my experiment prove that there is no need to add salt in guppy tanks.I will only use salt for hospital tank.
Old 26-08-2012, 01:44 AM   #7
vannel

Hmm. I agree with your conclusions, but the test subjects are probably not the right ones based on your explanation. Guppies have been commercially bred for so long that I think they do better in freshwater. Your test would probably have been a better one if the subjects were wild guppies.

In any case, any fish that you throw into a different environment (in this case a freshwater guppy being placed in a brackish water environment) would definitely not be a happy fish. That's why fish have to be acclimatised.
Old 26-08-2012, 01:51 AM   #8
MiyukiRei
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannel View Post
Hmm. I agree with your conclusions, but the test subjects are probably not the right ones based on your explanation. Guppies have been commercially bred for so long that I think they do better in freshwater. Your test would probably have been a better one if the subjects were wild guppies.

In any case, any fish that you throw into a different environment (in this case a freshwater guppy being placed in a brackish water environment) would definitely not be a happy fish. That's why fish have to be acclimatised.
Agree with you. But anyway should tank TS for his effort in his experiment
MiyukiRei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 02:10 AM   #9
vannel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiyukiRei View Post
Agree with you. But anyway should tank TS for his effort in his experiment
Of course. Thanks for the effort nonetheless. Awaiting your 2nd experiment.
Old 26-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
Est

Thank you for sharing with us the findings. When I add salt to hospital tank, I do not stir in. It is for them to get use to salinity slowly.

When you conduct this, How did you put in the salt?
The two spoonful of salt is it level or heaped?

I have a suggestion. To complete and conclude all experiments, the guppy should be interchanged back into the other container ,Salted back to fresh and vice versa and the behavior is consistent i.e both guppy behaving in that manner in salt water and that all variable are fixed ( fish curiosity ,small tau huay container vs tank etc) except salinity varied.Then it is conclusive.

Thanks for sharing again