Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 02-07-2008, 11:25 AM   #21
lincolngoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshy View Post
Hehehe.. off hand cannot remember liaos.
But definitely worth it from my calculation as the weight is w/o shell and head compared to buying MP from market.
Ditto. Head and shell weight at least 30-35%
Old 02-07-2008, 12:08 PM   #22
thomas
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelphan View Post
That is good news to me

Cos Sheng Siong sometimes run out of stocks for the $9.5/Kg type.
You also notice that too ?
Most of the time, only left the $12 & 12.50 packets
thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:18 PM   #23
samuelphan
Senior Dragon

Yah ... $9.5 stock ran out for this week ... so no choice have to buy the $12 ones ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
You also notice that too ?
Most of the time, only left the $12 & 12.50 packets
samuelphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #24
NCTony
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
i think i will try again and how much is a pack from ntuc?

Hi Bro
NTUC
1 packet 500g for $5.95 that is around $12.00 per kg these are deshell prawn.

Offer till 3 jul 2008
NCTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #25
Martin
KKJ Inspector

just got 2kg of fresh mp for $9, i still old mindset who prefer fresh one
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #26
Zozo
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
just got 2kg of fresh mp for $9, i still old mindset who prefer fresh one
i think fresh is still better as it has shells on it. but for those monster fish keepers without any maid, it can be nightmare. Im buying a styrofoam box of mp monthly and it takes me and my wife an hour and a half to just remove the heads and tail. If one person, i will need 3 hrs (no break). Damned tedious.
Zozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #27
Gigas
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
i think fresh is still better as it has shells on it. but for those monster fish keepers without any maid, it can be nightmare. Im buying a styrofoam box of mp monthly and it takes me and my wife an hour and a half to just remove the heads and tail. If one person, i will need 3 hrs (no break). Damned tedious.
Agree that it is tough work but worth it if we want our fish to live longer and well. I buy mine from wholesale market (met some AF bros there too) 20kg at a time.

Reason is that there are no or very little preservatives used at that stage...especially if you can lay your hands on sea caught prawns...about 3 inches long each. Very rare nowadays and so I get by with fresh kelong prawns...I never trusted supermarket prawns (fresh or packaged) as they have to have a longer shelf life which means.....

Got this info from fish sellers and if you see that feel that the shell is soapy and slippery, pls stay away from buying them as it will do the fish long term damage.
Gigas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #28
samuelphan
Senior Dragon

Hi,

Can advise on what is the price and which wholesale market you purchase from?

Jurong Fishery Port?

I am also looking at reducing my feeding cost thru bulk purchase as they are starting to increase as the rays numbers climb and their appetite for food increasing by the day.

Thanks in advance ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigas View Post
Agree that it is tough work but worth it if we want our fish to live longer and well. I buy mine from wholesale market (met some AF bros there too) 20kg at a time.

Reason is that there are no or very little preservatives used at that stage...especially if you can lay your hands on sea caught prawns...about 3 inches long each. Very rare nowadays and so I get by with fresh kelong prawns...I never trusted supermarket prawns (fresh or packaged) as they have to have a longer shelf life which means.....

Got this info from fish sellers and if you see that feel that the shell is soapy and slippery, pls stay away from buying them as it will do the fish long term damage.
samuelphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #29
Zozo
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelphan View Post
Hi,

Can advise on what is the price and which wholesale market you purchase from?

Jurong Fishery Port?

I am also looking at reducing my feeding cost thru bulk purchase as they are starting to increase as the rays numbers climb and their appetite for food increasing by the day.

Thanks in advance ...
Not the cheapest but i get mine from a stall at the wet market for $110 to $120 per box. Each box is about 20kg. sometimes up to 21kg. The convienent part of this is just a call away. I just drop them a call the day before and it will be at my place the next day.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #30
Zozo
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigas View Post

I totally agree with the freshness part and the soapy feeling. Heard that the soapy feeling is sodium bicarbonate that is added to make the prawns last longer (not sure if it is true). Seems to be quite common in prawns found in sheng shiong.