Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 04-11-2004, 09:48 AM   #21
cwloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekia
are u using any water conditioner? some water conditioner is known to cause this phenomenon...
AquaZ one if I'm in a hurry ... else I normally don't use any and just leave the water in the pile with air stone for 24 hrs. Maybe I did put some in when I notice the issue ..
Old 04-11-2004, 05:16 PM   #22
wlchew

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfccta
hmmm...but mine is a hang on....
hopefully these to days will break in ba!
Bro, I do not want to put salt to your wound. I have similar experience like you b4 using Weipro...very sian...I suggest you decomission it as the Jebo skimmer is not very ex...

I have used a few skimmer Sandar,Redsea and Aquamedic (Air-stone)
PH type - Weipro and Macro.

IMO, If You are going for something around S$70
I strongly recommend RedSea Airlift-90 and AquaMedic (I can't remember the model) 300-400l tank. They are Air-Stone type that performance much better than my previous Weipro 2011.

If you want a fast forward path then you won't go wrong with Macro Needlewheel a sub S$150 investment can go quite a long way(IMO) it can support up to 450-650l tank...

I have a spare Aquamedic skimmer (Air-stone)..if you want ,I can part to you for S$20...(You need a air-pump and air tube..hor)...I have using it as my backup in case of blackout..

Btw, I am not here to sell you anything...

My 2-cents thought.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:10 PM   #23
brightmoon

Forget abt getting Red Sea airlift 60 or 90.Used the 60 one before and always got problem getting to skim properly.Also the wooden airstone have to change after some time and then got to tune again.Troublesome Go for at least a weipro or macro if you are on tight budget.Me using weipro now.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:11 PM   #24
vvswong

I use Queen..$45 only...but need a power head..very efficient anyway..
Old 05-11-2004, 06:45 PM   #25
nim75sg

Here is my 2 cts worth of experience:

1) Red Sea Airlift 60 for 2'x1.5'x1.5' tank and giving dark wet skimmate
(Coral Beauty, Watchman Blenny, Golden Head Goby, Skunk Shrimp, Hermit Crab'
Blue Damsel)

2) Red Sea Airlift 90 for 2'x2'x 2' tank and giving same skimmate as Airlift 60
(Green Chromis, Blue Tang, Sailfin, Blue Damsel, Maroon Clown, Doctor Fish)

3) Sander Maxi-Skim for 3'x1.5'x1.5' and also giving good skimmate. (Quarantine Tank)
(5 Purple Queen, Naso Blonde, Powder Blue, Kole, Sohal)

The abv three skimmers are using limewood airstone which needs cleaning fortnightly and replacement monthly to achieve its max efficiency. Never encounter any problem as long as the water level is within the skimmer guidelines.

Verdit .. Reasonable cheap and efficient skimmer based on it value ... only setup its needs a powerful airpump which must be airflow controllable.

Alternatively .. get the latest Weipro skimmer which is a clone of the American AquaC without the check-valve of-course.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:39 PM   #26
cukcuk

I'm started to use the Weipro 2011 yesterday... it also produces very little bubbles, can't reach the cup.

It is possible that the flowrate too low or not enough air inlet? Me using Atman 1200l/hr.

Okay... I think the Atman pump I'm using the flowrate too low, can't even reach the intersection between cup & skimmer neck.

Will get a more powerful one to try.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:17 PM   #27
Ekia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cukcuk
I'm started to use the Weipro 2011 yesterday... it also produces very little bubbles, can't reach the cup.

It is possible that the flowrate too low or not enough air inlet? Me using Atman 1200l/hr.

Okay... I think the Atman pump I'm using the flowrate too low, can't even reach the intersection between cup & skimmer neck.

Will get a more powerful one to try.
the bubbles are not supposed to reach the collection cup... its the foam which is supposed to reach the collection cup
Old 06-11-2004, 09:36 PM   #28
cukcuk

Then my foam very low nia... no big foam formed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekia
the bubbles are not supposed to reach the collection cup... its the foam which is supposed to reach the collection cup
Old 06-11-2004, 11:27 PM   #29
Ekia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cukcuk
Then my foam very low nia... no big foam formed...
will need about a week for the skimmer to 'break in' .... just let the skimmer run... should be ok as long as the water level is at the black ring level
Old 07-11-2004, 02:45 PM   #30
lfccta

now when i tune the pump lower it gets so noisy.....
is there any stronger pump than AP1500 ? or any other pump that the head can rotate ?