Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Catfish Forum

Old 15-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
vannel

I have had my pygmy cories in a planted before and the result was just them hiding more often than not.

I would go with Nana on driftwood so that they are shaded from the lights and you get to maximise ground area. It also gives them a false sense of security. Do consider some floating plants as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 15-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #12
darter
Arofanatic

What kind of lighting are you using? Im looking for a spot lighting too for my 30cm for Hastatus. Any recco for LED spot lights?
darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #13
larrybird
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
You could try C328 I think they might have
hi! thanks for the heads up! have you seen them in person recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannel View Post
Bro. The tank looks nice. But unfortunately, I cannot agree with your choice of substrate. Black quartz, under the microscope, has been known to have sharp edges and that is generally not a good idea for a Corydoras setup. A cheap packet of very fine sand from PetMart or the typical Sudo Sand is the way to go here.

Many cories are shy by nature and this is especially so for the pygmy cories. I would possibly go with a little lesser planting in the tank so that the cories can be seen.

I like your choice of lighting, being something like a spotlight. You should consider placing it at an angle (shining from top left to bottom right) and deplicating the Sun's rays. That should provide for a very esthetically pleasing look.

My 2 cents.
thank you for pointing that out. i'm currently using dennerle's quartz and its marketed to be safe for corydoras as it is rounded. i have personally touched the quartz myself and its similar or even smoother compared to normal planting gravel like gex. nonetheless i'll be monitoring closely when the cories are in!

the lighting is an Arcadia Arc Pod. unfortunately can only be placed perpendicular to the surface it is placed on top of. maybe ill try shifting the light to horizontal instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntrubber View Post
I'd actually go for more planting and shade instead. This is to give the fish more confidence to venture out and you get to see the fish behaving naturally instead of huddling frightened and clamped under a driftwood. I agree on the fine sand. The black quartz is also too well..dark. Do check when buying cheaper brandless fine sand. I've ended up with coral sand twice.
i am on the assumption that the pygmy cories will look better in a dark scape, ill modify accordingly once i've gotten them! ive a pack of sudo bottom sand that i bought as backup

Quote:
Originally Posted by darter View Post
What kind of lighting are you using? Im looking for a spot lighting too for my 30cm for Hastatus. Any recco for LED spot lights?
Arcadia Arc Pod.
larrybird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dwarf cory, pygmy cory