Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 05-09-2014, 10:57 PM   #511
Epon
Arofanatic

Florida gar should be ok.. small mouth, even 2 feet also ok . Mine is ok.

But My Long nose alligator gar 20inch attack my 10inch trevelly.. although cannot eat , he took a bite. Poor trevelly was in gar jaw for ~30sec.. next day, trevelly die..

My short nose gar is ok so far

I think those long nose alligator gar have really big mouth.. they can swallow anything.. those short nose alligator and florida does not have mouth as big as them..
Epon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:05 PM   #512
Epon
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauLanChu View Post
Don't panic, gar is not so bad as said, there are also some successful comm as proven. Is true that gar is ferocious and big eater, with the gator gar being the worst.
Rules of thumb to comm gar first is Size. Try comm them with others who are same or bigger in size, so they would not even have the idea of attempt to snap. Then is the type, in general try not to comm them with school fishes like TFB, hook, FF, kelah....as I supposed these are their prey in wild, natural they would be attacked. Good comm candidates are aro, bichir, rays, kong ming, PB.....
Anyway if anyone start giving up I am most willing to adopt, particular the plat ones...
Yes.. forgot to mention size of comm is important. . Make sure u have bigger or adult size tankmate

I bought a 18inche endi to test my 20 inch snow gar..
Once endi is in tank.. the gar immediately go check out the 18inch endi.. from head to tail... I was waiting for gator to snap.. but it was too long and too thick to bite I guess
Old 06-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #513
Deshien8789

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauLanChu View Post
Don't panic, gar is not so bad as said, there are also some successful comm as proven. Is true that gar is ferocious and big eater, with the gator gar being the worst.
Rules of thumb to comm gar first is Size. Try comm them with others who are same or bigger in size, so they would not even have the idea of attempt to snap. Then is the type, in general try not to comm them with school fishes like TFB, hook, FF, kelah....as I supposed these are their prey in wild, natural they would be attacked. Good comm candidates are aro, bichir, rays, kong ming, PB.....
Anyway if anyone start giving up I am most willing to adopt, particular the plat ones...
Haha....... But bro, the above school fish I don't have, how about:

Red Aro 16"
AAA KKP 8-9"
4 Bar iT 13"
3 Bar iT 6"
Rays 6" , 8" , 13"
Florida Gar 16"
Alligator Gar 6.5-7"
Tigurinus 8-9"
Old 06-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #514
Deshien8789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epon View Post
Florida gar should be ok.. small mouth, even 2 feet also ok . Mine is ok.

But My Long nose alligator gar 20inch attack my 10inch trevelly.. although cannot eat , he took a bite. Poor trevelly was in gar jaw for ~30sec.. next day, trevelly die..

My short nose gar is ok so far

I think those long nose alligator gar have really big mouth.. they can swallow anything.. those short nose alligator and florida does not have mouth as big as them..
But my Tigurinus kanna beat up jialat jialat by my Florida... Maybe like you said, the size of tankmate must be same or bigger but Gar still got short and long nose??? Can advice? Until now I still trying my best to keep my Gars.. Cos like the way they help me clear all the uneaten food from my rays....
Old 06-09-2014, 10:43 AM   #515
Epon
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deshien8789 View Post
But my Tigurinus kanna beat up jialat jialat by my Florida... Maybe like you said, the size of tankmate must be same or bigger but Gar still got short and long nose??? Can advice? Until now I still trying my best to keep my Gars.. Cos like the way they help me clear all the uneaten food from my rays....
Bro..

Below pic. Top is short nose gator. 2nd is florida. 3rd is the long nose gator..

My friends also experience same.. long nose ones have bigger mouth

He can take 5 kunning each meal
[IMG]
Old 06-09-2014, 10:47 AM   #516
Epon
Arofanatic

Notice the 2nd pic.. the broad and longer nose?.. he has much bigger mouth
Old 06-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #517
Deshien8789

Very nice gars u have bro... How about my?

Florida ( I assume.) 16"

Alligator 6-7"
Old 06-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #518
Epon
Arofanatic

Bro ur gar also very nice.. I like the 2nd one..

I saw 1 very nice at c328 few mths back.

I think same as my gator long nose type..

I am no expert too ok

I compare ratio from gill to eye/eye to tip of nose.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #519
Epon
Arofanatic

as they grow.. its ok to keep. Except cannot add smaller fishes .

I have few fish to add and promise CO to sell my cabinet tank.. cannot convince her to keep to tanks. .

I am consider to let go my bigger gator so I can add few more smaller aro.

Anyway I wil post later to sell gator and cabinet..
Old 06-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #520
Epon
Arofanatic

Anyway.. in 1 year time.. make sure no fish can fit into gator mouth. . U can see how big they can open and stretch their mouth. my rare sb plat endi was swallowed few mths ago