Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 14-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
bBxiAng

Default ray + salt?

hey guys...anyone has any rays in tankwater with light aquarium salt?

i add salt for my 422 tank as part of the water "conditioner" ... about 4 spoons (that comes with the salt) per 100 litres to prevent disease outbreak even though i do 2x 30% water change per week

was wondering if rays can take the salt amount because i heard they dont mix well with salt.
Old 14-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
YKT
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bBxiAng View Post
hey guys...anyone has any rays in tankwater with light aquarium salt?

i add salt for my 422 tank as part of the water "conditioner" ... about 4 spoons (that comes with the salt) per 100 litres to prevent disease outbreak even though i do 2x 30% water change per week

was wondering if rays can take the salt amount because i heard they dont mix well with salt.
You only add salt for treatment purposes. Normally you don't need to add. Same like we don't take Panadol every day to prevent headache.

Ray can tolerate salt but you add only when necessary. Your routine water change is good enough.
YKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
naser90096
Endangered Dragon

i maintain my water with 0.07-0.1% salt (1 kg per 1000L of water) ... normally put a spoonful per 50L-100L ...
no problems for the past >5yrs ...
naser90096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
goldfish02

not for ray keeping
Old 14-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
bBxiAng

Quote:
Originally Posted by YKT View Post
You only add salt for treatment purposes. Normally you don't need to add. Same like we don't take Panadol every day to prevent headache.

Ray can tolerate salt but you add only when necessary. Your routine water change is good enough.
thanks bro! in the past had one or two cases of itch...so decided on this preventive salt thingy! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by naser90096 View Post
i maintain my water with 0.07-0.1% salt (1 kg per 1000L of water) ... normally put a spoonful per 50L-100L ...
no problems for the past >5yrs ...
wow bro! but thats quite alot of salt? cos i calculated my 422 to have around 387 litres of water...that will be around 400 grams of salt?? 1 standard pack about 500 g right?? is that what u mean ? because if yes then its real good news for me man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfish02 View Post
not for ray keeping
thanks bro~ u have any bad experience b4?!?!
Old 14-08-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
Martin
KKJ Inspector

keeping ray can still add salt but must dissolve it b4 adding into tank, u cant add direct coz ray w/o scale otherwise ray disc might get burn
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
JackFish
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
keeping ray can still add salt but must dissolve it b4 adding into tank, u cant add direct coz ray w/o scale otherwise ray disc might get burn
i always add salt cause there are other fishes such as aro inside.. uncle at c328 say add a little.. i have 2 motoros.. nothing happen lei.. but salt as mentioned by bro martin never touch ray
JackFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #8
bBxiAng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFish View Post
i always add salt cause there are other fishes such as aro inside.. uncle at c328 say add a little.. i have 2 motoros.. nothing happen lei.. but salt as mentioned by bro martin never touch ray
ahh thanks man...ok so dissolve first.....add shldnt be a problem! swee....eh but bros can u guys give me a rough gauge of how much salt u people add? so i can get a safe guideline as to how much shld be the maximum for me?? THANKS!
Old 14-08-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
evoaiwa

i learn the hard way i added salt and it hit my motoro pup 2 hrs later up the lorry... ray are sensitive to salt be careful on the dosage and make sure it dissolve properly and evenly spread around the tank or ur rays will have salt burn
Old 15-08-2009, 12:44 AM   #10
uluaking

For me, i never add salt at all for all my rays..... why need to add salt?