Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 23-11-2006, 06:33 PM   #31
peter porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chleong View Post
Yes, I also did not said that you use "cheap", only I use it.

Indeed it is getting different opinions and nothing conclusive therefore the term "Comp grade" has no meaning.
But bro...to answer ur post, 'Comp Grade' to me means a fish that fulfills the judging requirements of the competition. Therefore, a SV ranchu needs to have a nice, curved back for instance, etc etc.

Let's take out the LFS equation; this is how I interpret the term.
Old 24-11-2006, 12:25 AM   #32
Runzhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygerlim View Post
IMHO, for any fish species that had a show to boast about usually come with a set of standard requirement covering the aspect and outlook of the fish as a whole. Ranchu does have its set of show standard to follow if you plan to show your fishes.

By the term comp grade it would mean that this fish could take part in a fish show due to its anatomy complying with the show standard requirement for it. Not necessary to win a comp before getting this term because there would only be minimum placing in a competition.

In another words, the fish maybe nice to 1 judge but it would not appeal to the other, so that does not necessarily mean that this fish that is getting second or third placing could not be champion under different judges.

My 2 cents on comp grade.
the word "comp grade" is used by breeder or seller to price their fish, they are seregrated and differrenciated from the rest. In short, they 've the potential to win in competition but that does not mean sure win..
In the brood of champ grade ( potential) there are cream of the crops. If you choose the wrong piece the chances and potential too win deminish though paying for the high price. Again that depends on the levels of competiton.
Old 24-11-2006, 12:33 AM   #33
Runzhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygerlim View Post
IMHO, for any fish species that had a show to boast about usually come with a set of standard requirement covering the aspect and outlook of the fish as a whole. Ranchu does have its set of show standard to follow if you plan to show your fishes.

By the term comp grade it would mean that this fish could take part in a fish show due to its anatomy complying with the show standard requirement for it. Not necessary to win a comp before getting this term because there would only be minimum placing in a competition.

In another words, the fish maybe nice to 1 judge but it would not appeal to the other, so that does not necessarily mean that this fish that is getting second or third placing could not be champion under different judges.

My 2 cents on comp grade.
the word "comp grade" is used by breeder or seller to price their fish, they are seregrated and differrenciated from the rest. In short, they 've the potential to win in competition but that does not mean sure win..
In the brood of champ grade ( potential) there are cream of the crops. If you choose the wrong piece the chances and potential too win deminish though paying for the high price. Again that depends on the levels of competiton.

Always remember, in any competition when winners are decided by people (judges) there is always the element of partiality. Give you an example, olympic diving, winners are selected by panels of judges but there are always different in points given. There are many many more. think about it. lazy to continue..
Old 24-11-2006, 08:43 AM   #34
Redbean
Dragon

To what I learn fr some magazines, those breeder and seller grade the fishes with 3A, 2A and comp according to the defects they can find in the fish. Normally a comp grade fish shouldn't have any defect and its up to the buyer to buy and groom it for competition.
Redbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 08:51 AM   #35
tanker72

I agree that the term has to follow or fulfill the judging requirements.
However, some of this requirements do have some differences and interpretation among judges too.
If you know what to look out for when looking for a "comp grade" , you can definitely have a beauty in your hands.
Of course your care and grooming of your 'comp grade' fishes are important in
maintaining them in 'comp grade' status.