Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 08-03-2006, 06:59 PM   #1
the_r0ck

Default Ugly 1.5

Something I did during my break but the tank will be torn down soon so I jut decided to post it up

MM with japanese hairgrass. The japanese grass is only beginning to take off. Used to have Rotala Wallichi but the MM simply swarmed it as I forgot to put a partition.

Only got a Betta splenden, an oto and some yamatos.

Hope the equipment and the CO2 diffusor don't make it even more ugly.

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:25 PM   #2
|squee|

Looks like you got inspiration from Norbert?

You should know it's hard to say anything now, the foreground is incomplete. A few bunches of Blyxia japonica around the edges of the rocks will provide the midground. Are you thinking of a "path fading to nowwhere" effect, or simply a vanishing horizon line?
Old 08-03-2006, 08:24 PM   #3
the_r0ck

Ah! Busted! Terence, was hoping that you would not see this so fast

Yeah, I wanna emulate Norbert's style, so decided to try with the spare MM that I have on hand. And I guess it's gonna be a path to nowhere, but the tank is kinda small so I needa tinker around with the MM.

I gotta admit the tank is still in it's infancy, but I posted it up in case algae starts to destroy it.

Anyway, won't the japnoica swarm the tank? I am worried that it will "kill off" the MM. Was thinking of nana petites but decided other wise. Then i thought of downoi, but I am still searching for the midground.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:26 PM   #4
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_r0ck

Something I did during my break but the tank will be torn down soon so I jut decided to post it up

MM with japanese hairgrass. The japanese grass is only beginning to take off. Used to have Rotala Wallichi but the MM simply swarmed it as I forgot to put a partition.

Only got a Betta splenden, an oto and some yamatos.

Hope the equipment and the CO2 diffusor don't make it even more ugly.

Thanks.
Actually if you add a little bit of height to some of the corners, it should look fairly decent. Nice looking rocks you have there.
onlyyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 12:45 AM   #5
|squee|

Hehe, you should know I look too much at tank showcases

Nanas will spoil the look of "dense complicated leaves" imho. Blyxia japonica shouldn't overtake the tank when trimmed regularly(come on, it has to be less maintainence than MM right? Lol)

I don't know how to make a path to nowhere look, but there's a certain pattern I see. Let me illustrate it out for you using this tank by Nicholas from AQ.

Notice how the lines are defined, and how the gravel slopes up drastically (not so evident in this tank). Just my observation.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:55 AM   #6
the_r0ck

Terence, I guess I will go for the path-leads-to-horizon-line since it's easier that way, just trim off the MMs at the sides and it should be fine. Thanks for the picture and the explaination, it helped to clear up my misconceptions. Nicholas... is he wackytpt?

For japonica, I'll have to go get a bunch and see how it turns out. My choice initally was downoi, cause my friend is loading some off from his current tank and it'd be free, just wonder if it'll be suitable.

Anyway this tank is a "fill-in" scape. Other than lazily copying Nobert's style, I'm gearing up for a "real tank" soon and I wanna "farm" some japanese hairgrass and MM from here.

Oh, bro onlyyouknow, I just trimmed it so it looks real short. I trim more than needed cause these buggers grow very fast.

But I agree with you, the height of the tank should be fully utilized.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:12 AM   #7
|squee|

Yeap, he's wackytpt.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:27 AM   #8
Panther
Dragon

Great looking simple tank. Take your time to fill in the gaps...I believe it's gonna be very nice!
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:12 PM   #9
HRK

very nice!

just leave to form the nature look soon..