Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 05-03-2015, 05:47 PM   #1
Jackyx
Arofanatic

Default FGT Filtration, ohf/ios??

Dear sis & bros out there,

Please share if you have any experience with this. Am looking to make one in the near future so doing some gathering of infos.

Please share any advise, your FGT photo and/or blueprints if you have any.

For the filter at the top, i've heard there is always an issue of over flowing, and i kinda dislike the visual of piping in the tank.

For IOS/IOUS its gonna take up alot of the space in the FGT.

Which leads me to think, if its advisable to do both IOUS & OHF?
Like a small 6inch length IOUS compartment which consist of the mechanical filtration which will enable a ease of maintenance, then 2nd compartment here will be the pump which leads to the OHF. With this, my OHF should be cleaner and so will not get clogged so easily?

Hope this is not too confusing.

Any kind of advise, information etc, please share with me so i can do it once and do it right when my flat comes. =D

Thank you!
Jackyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #2
matthew
Senior Dragon

I got a 4.5ft ious glass tank that is link to my ohf.
Meaning the return pump from the ious is connected to the ohf inlet.
Water outlet from Ohf
matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:01 PM   #3
Jackyx
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew View Post
Water outlet from Ohf
Would you recommend such setups? I haven tried it on a tank. Only tried OHF and Sump Setups.

And I wonder if it will work as well in a FGT. As the FGT OHF issen really built the same as the usual tank OHF.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:03 PM   #4
matthew
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyx View Post
Would you recommend such setups? I haven tried it on a tank. Only tried OHF and Sump Setups.

And I wonder if it will work as well in a FGT. As the FGT OHF issen really built the same as the usual tank OHF.
It is the same concept bro...
It is only how you secure fgt ohf on the fgt itself.
matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #5
Jackal
Dragon

If the pump in your IOS fail and not pumping to your OHF? Your IOS will flood or spill over back to your actual FGT depending on the design.

Personally feel that IOS don't look so unsightly compare to OHF but take up more of your fish swimming space. So if you have space this may not be an issue. Or you can custom make like 5.5ft instead of 5ft. The additional 0.5ft is cater for the IOS.

For OHF no compromise for the actual volume of space in FGT. Some may like it as it may act like a shelter for your fishy if your FGT is place with direct sun shinning on it.

Used to have FGT and later decide to go with external canister filter
Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #6
canopy
Dragon

adding FGT to a IOS is added filtration. Havn't know that water can backflow to FGT if pump failed ? Can share what design of the IOS can caused it? If you scare pump will die on you then get a more reliable one. I have eheim universal pump running for 6 yrs without fail.
canopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #7
mediacraze
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew View Post
Water outlet from Ohf
Yup. Did it before, working well as it increase the amount of media and also have a wet/ dry section filter system
mediacraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:02 PM   #8
sirwin81
Senior Dragon

personally an overhead filterbox for FGT is one of the best method of filteration there is. due to the size and in most cases the placement of FGT the OHF box makes is efficient in terms of space consumption and maintance. I have quite a few FGT myself ranging from 6x3x2 to 12x5x4 and all of them uses overhead filter box.

As to your question on overflowing, the only time it actually overflows is because either the outlet gets blocked or the chamber is clogged.
sirwin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #9
Shadow7
Senior Dragon

Ohf is enough if it is same length as ur fgt but be careful how u going to rest it as some will sag in the middle if there is no support. Talk to ur fgt maker on how u want it to be made
Shadow7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:33 PM   #10
Jackyx
Arofanatic

My plan is something like 7 x 3.5 x 3(H),

then IOUS of only 0.5ft on the length.
- this is to help hide the pump and maybe make maintenance of the mechanical filtration much easier and assessible?
- and to prevent overflowing at OHF if mechanical filtration is at the IOUS

then OHF across the length ( 7 x 1 x 1.5[h] )

bro sirwin81, does your first/mechanical filtration chamber gets clogged easily? and how to you prevent the other chambers from getting clogged? will making them the same as a Sump be better(like having a egg crate to maintain a space at the bottom of each chamber?
As i have experienced my sump mechanical filtration chamber overflow, am very very afraid of it now. haha

bro shadow7, am afraid of the warping of the middle part of the OHF also. Any tips on how i shld construct it to prevent it from warping? Adding a bar of fiberglass or something across the front of the OHF? Not sure how.

Thanks guys. Please keep the advise coming, dont wanna leave out any details and regret later =P.