Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 18-01-2009, 02:28 AM   #1
fishy80
Account Disabled

Default Lights

I am currently running a 1.5 ft tank using a 18 w light. Is it strong enough? I also have another light that is 11w. Can i use both lights to increase the wattage or is 18w sufficient? Also does it mean if i run both lights, the total wattage will be 29w. Does it mean that i have 29 watts of lights for my tank?
fishy80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
gue

bro, what plants do you have in the tank?
Old 18-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
the_r0ck

You can blast as much as you like but remember that when you have high lights you must have the CO2 and nutrients fertilization to balance things up.

1.5feet with 18w is good enough. Too much lights and you have too much problems on your hands.
Old 18-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
fishy80
Account Disabled

Thanks. I am using an electronic CO2. Not sure if it is really useful. Also, I am unable to see any bubbles forming on my riccia with the 2 lights on and the electronic CO2 on. Pls advise.
Old 18-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #5
the_r0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy80 View Post
Thanks. I am using an electronic CO2. Not sure if it is really useful. Also, I am unable to see any bubbles forming on my riccia with the 2 lights on and the electronic CO2 on. Pls advise.
If your plants are not pearling, it doesn't mean that your plants are not growing.

If you have alot of fishes or high surface agitation then pearling is less likely to occur as well.
Old 19-01-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
fishy80
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_r0ck View Post
If your plants are not pearling, it doesn't mean that your plants are not growing.

If you have alot of fishes or high surface agitation then pearling is less likely to occur as well.
Ok thanks. I think i will keep less fishes then.
Old 22-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
fishy80
Account Disabled

I managed to see some pearlings on my plants today, but only after I had turned on the Co2 to high amounts. i cannot gauge the bps because its an electronic CO2. But I am only able to achieve the pearlings by pumping in more Co2 and switching on both lights, I am unable to get pearlings just by using the 11w light or 18w light. The wpg for my tank is only 14watts. Why is this so?
Old 24-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
the_r0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy80 View Post
I managed to see some pearlings on my plants today, but only after I had turned on the Co2 to high amounts. i cannot gauge the bps because its an electronic CO2. But I am only able to achieve the pearlings by pumping in more Co2 and switching on both lights, I am unable to get pearlings just by using the 11w light or 18w light. The wpg for my tank is only 14watts. Why is this so?
Its hard to ascertain exactly what the reason is, but my guess is that your CO2 levels wasn't enough to cater to the needs of your plants.

Electronic CO2 is unreliable in my opinion. You cannot gauge the output and its output levels vary according to the water levels. I recommend that you monitor your pH and KH to ensure that they don't hit abnormal levels.
Old 26-01-2009, 03:38 AM   #9
fishy80
Account Disabled

Ok thanks.
Old 17-04-2009, 01:14 AM   #10
DraVen

sorry to hijack the thread, but i also got some question about lighting.

i'm currently setting up a one feet cube tank, and am going to buy a set of lighting for it. but can anyone advise me on wat kind i should buy? FL or PL? and watts? the main plants that's going to be inside will be moss. thanx in advance