Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 21-01-2015, 05:52 PM   #1
pcyk

Default Cover 3 sides of the Tank?

Hi,

I would appreciate if you can advise me if it is a must to cover 3 sides of the fish tank for arowana?

Currently my tank is placed on a cabinet that both side of the fish tank's length can be seen through, so is it good to keep an arowana in such an environment?

Thank you.
Old 21-01-2015, 08:30 PM   #2
Jon33™
Arofanatic

Hi bro, what aro are you keeping? To answer your question, it is not a must to keep aro with background. There are usually 2 main reasons why people keep their aro or fishes with background:

1) For personal viewing - some owners prefer a contrast when they are viewing their aro or taking pictures/videos. It tends to be more visually appealing. There is no hard rule for choosing the background color. Some find blue background more suitable for gold aros while black background goes with red aro. Many base it on personal preferences. There are even some who go for white, yellow and red.

2) To enhance the color of their aro - background plays some part in stimulating the fishes in "blending in" with the environment. Many bros here have shown research links to how environmental colors play a part in fishes depicting their colors. In general, fishes that tend to have lighter background or without background will show a lighter/brighter tone (there are some fishes who might freak out and still become dark and stressed up though). Fishes that are kept in darker backgrounds tend to show a darker overall tone. That is the reason why some bros keep their gold aro in white FGT or tanks with white background.

As such, whichever method you choose depends on what you plan to have for your fishes and yourself. Hope this helps.
Jon33™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 12:20 AM   #3
pcyk

Hi Bro,

Thank you for your advice and information.

I used to have a RTG and was with me for exactly 11 years. After it was gone, I decided to change the tank and do up another cabinet. After 6 months, I still undecided if I want to have another arrowana, thus not sure what I want in the tank.

Thanks for helping. Will keep you inform if I decide on what I will keep in the tank.