Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 20-07-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
Betta Mania

Question Anyone can help with search for Malawi Cichlids?

Looking to start an African Cichlid collection. Can anyone help with advice and throw some light on the subject please. Are Tangkanika and Malawi Ciclids compatible and what about the water conditions? Also where is the best place to look for these cichlids? What about C328 or QH??? :Many thanks for the help
Old 20-07-2010, 01:46 AM   #2
Young Man
Senior Dragon

welcome to the world of african cichlids (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Mania View Post
Looking to start an African Cichlid collection. Can anyone help with advice and throw some light on the subject please.
have you read up on african cichlids already?

Quote:
Are Tangkanika and Malawi Ciclids compatible and what about the water conditions?
there are cases of people keeping both malawian and tangan cichlids together.but it may not always work,depending on what variant you keep,what tank size and how many.and basically once you keep malawi cichlids,more often then not,your tank has got to be LARGE (:
as for water conditions they are pretty much similar with the tangans being much more sensitive (: basically they need alkaline, hard water.
so in my opinion,try to decide on either tanga or malawi and from there proceed on (:

Quote:
Also where is the best place to look for these cichlids? What about C328 or QH??? :Many thanks for the help
places like NKS,C328,QH,seaview all has a good range of tanga cichlids and as for malawi cichlids they r easily found everywhere (: unless you are looking for a specific species then that's another question..
Young Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
tridentdiscus
Dragon

Malawi are commonly found in most LFS. They are brightly colored and very affordable.
tridentdiscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #4
Betta Mania

Mny thanks for reply - what is the best place for Malawis near CCK
Old 20-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
Young Man
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Mny thanks for reply - what is the best place for Malawis near CCK
sorry not too familiar with that area.. i can only think of hong yang aq,but if you are not too specific with the type of malawian cichlids you want then i guess most LFS would have them (: enjoy!do update with pics when you get them (:
Old 21-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
LesAth
Arofanatic

U can try qh as they have a row of malawi tanks. sometimes have nice colours But the common types and qh sells $3 a piece where u can find $1 in neighbourhood lfs . I have 3pcs red peacock free if u want largest pc is 4" and showing striking blue on face. Pm me if u keen i cant keep the strain as the big guy owning my yellow peacocks and and fronts. I remove them and my yellows get pregnant(3 of em) Sorry for ot tho
LesAth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
LesAth
Arofanatic

Btw if u need any info about malawi if i know i will tell you. Started rearing them since aquired this hobby. Easy to keep not fussy

u need
sandy subtrate
oyster shells
plentyhiding spots
coral chips
epsom salt
cycled tank and filtration average
just buy adequately for ur tank(time and filtration)

(as i have no mentor. I did not do any studies nor the required stuffs. Dump decor,fill water, add chemicals and add fish after 30 mins . Been few months and my ladies holding 3rd batch in mouth) none died
they are active unlike front and discus where they seldom rest. As i have tanga/malawi/angels/discus they are the easiest in my exp
LesAth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2010, 09:18 PM   #8
freshwtrmonster
Arofanatic

FYI they still available at c328 and polyart at clementi..
freshwtrmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:21 AM   #9
Betta Mania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Man View Post
welcome to the world of african cichlids (:

have you read up on african cichlids already?

there are cases of people keeping both malawian and tangan cichlids together.but it may not always work,depending on what variant you keep,what tank size and how many.and basically once you keep malawi cichlids,more often then not,your tank has got to be LARGE (:
as for water conditions they are pretty much similar with the tangans being much more sensitive (: basically they need alkaline, hard water.
so in my opinion,try to decide on either tanga or malawi and from there proceed on (:

places like NKS,C328,QH,seaview all has a good range of tanga cichlids and as for malawi cichlids they r easily found everywhere (: unless you are looking for a specific species then that's another question..
Yo bro, thanks for the tips -- can now update you as this project is on track - only thing is that inspite of all that is said about how hardy these chiclids are I have suffered some causualties.

I have lost two of my P demasoni. They just upped the lorry, there is also three L. caeruleus.They stopped appearing and today I did some water change and renovating the decor - they floated out. -

However, the up side is that my M. auratus two of them are changing color taking on the hues of males really facinating (my first tiem to see this change!)

Currently looking for M.cyanerhabdos (Maingano) M. lombardoi "Kenyi", M. pyrsonotos cna anyone help

Two kind bros gave me their peacocks -

I also have a few fronts in my collection - currently learning more about them. There are so many types of fronts and making sense whic is which is really a challenge. Currenlty have about nine fronts of various sizes. Must say I did not appreciate them till now. An bros with tips on malawis, tanga and fronts would much be appreciated.

Understand that these chichlids are sucsceptable to somthing called "bloat" any comment from experienced bros or is out there.

Will post some pics later.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #10
Young Man
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Yo bro, thanks for the tips -- can now update you as this project is on track - only thing is that inspite of all that is said about how hardy these chiclids are I have suffered some causualties.

I have lost two of my P demasoni. They just upped the lorry, there is also three L. caeruleus.They stopped appearing and today I did some water change and renovating the decor - they floated out. -

However, the up side is that my M. auratus two of them are changing color taking on the hues of males really facinating (my first tiem to see this change!)

Currently looking for M.cyanerhabdos (Maingano) M. lombardoi "Kenyi", M. pyrsonotos cna anyone help

Two kind bros gave me their peacocks -

I also have a few fronts in my collection - currently learning more about them. There are so many types of fronts and making sense whic is which is really a challenge. Currenlty have about nine fronts of various sizes. Must say I did not appreciate them till now. An bros with tips on malawis, tanga and fronts would much be appreciated.

Understand that these chichlids are sucsceptable to somthing called "bloat" any comment from experienced bros or is out there.

Will post some pics later.
ok for tangans,they r very sensitive to alot of different parameters, and as for malawian cichlids,though they are hardier, u still need to be careful with them..

these african cichlids are said to be hardy with the fact that proper setup has been done prior to purchase and once they have settles in they are actually quite hardy (:

when death sets in, pick up the dead fish and check for signs of death. whether it was due to fights? illness? if not either of the above, then it would be the water parameter. now,do a quick check on pH, NO2, NO3, ammonia and temperature.

for your tank, after setting up, did you allow it time to go through the full cycling period?

basically,
pH got to be alkaline at roughly 8
NO2, NO3 and ammonia shld be 0
temperature below 30

those fronts you bought are burundis, which are good for a start,so once you get more experience, you can try other variants (: