Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 28-05-2015, 03:19 PM   #111
Michael178
Arofanatic

I started trying out this 3 weeks ago,

Tank 6x3x2
Sump 5x2.5x2

inhabitants: wild caught Panda Uarus
: wild caught Heros
: wild caught big pleco x 1

water change regime 70% everytime. Fishes were fine, no quick breathing or jumping all over the place. The big pleco which was flown in recently, acclimatise quickly and was feeding the next day. Very decent product, I was using Prime previously which also gave me good results, I'm not a very technical person so don't ask me for test tube readings but suffice to say, the product is up there among the better AC out there in the market now.
Michael178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 07:18 PM   #112
llewellyn
Dragon

I am not facing much issues with my current regime of seachem safe or Baxter.

At least 80% WC x 4 times weekly (aros, rays, ranchu, PBS, ITs, NGTs, bichirs, gars, discus and dad's guppies).
I fed my fishes even during topping up water at full blast with not much issues. Sometimes do notice a bit of heavy breathing but I fault it as the stress of low water level, battling for space and restricting their movements .... and of course the difference in the incoming water perimeters.

no overdose of anti chlorine... sometimes even forgot to dose (not recommended) because I timed the water in/out among my 13 tanks and there are times, I miscalculated and had to rush to turn off/ on/over drain water at the same time(diff tank) that I ve forgotten to add Water conditioners

Of couse I have few encounters of fishes darting around and dying after WC but I believe during these instances, the problem actually lies in our water and probably no way our water conditioner would have neutralize the situations (Beyond what they can achieved).

I am curious about pub`s method of dispensing the chemicals into our water . Are they using a regulated precise dispenser or just agar agar scoop and dose randomly which resulted in the inconsistency of our tap water perimeters? I don't know ...

I read the issues some of you posted in this thread as quite scary. Glad that you have found a product to solve your problem.

Anyway, I will be trying out this product soon. Will give my feedback as a layman observations but no water perimeters, pH etc reading.
probably would need two weeks (8x water change) for a fairer comparison.
llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 09:58 PM   #113
Tay
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewellyn View Post
Of couse I have few encounters of fishes darting around and dying after WC but I believe during these instances, the problem actually lies in our water and probably no way our water conditioner would have neutralize the situations (Beyond what they can achieved).

I am curious about pub`s method of dispensing the chemicals into our water . Are they using a regulated precise dispenser or just agar agar scoop and dose randomly which resulted in the inconsistency of our tap water perimeters? I don't know ...
Hi bro, just to share my view on this. Not gg to comment on the AC u using, but regards to ur fishes darting ard dying after WC, something is definitely wrong somewhere. Usually fishes darting here there cos of chlorine burn or ammonia shock. If ur AC dosage is not strong enuf, ammonia the by pdt after removing chlorine fr achloramines will shock ur fishes. Of cos u hv to consider other factors also not on AC alone. Cheers....
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 02:42 PM   #114
Epon
Arofanatic

Been using AST for past 3 weeks... did not notice heavy breathing and my aro seems more calm. Sakura Stingrays usual and same.. not much movement.

Before was using seahem safe..
Also no noticeable problem.. sometimes see aros heavy breathing only.. I also not bothered... only sometimes..

After only 3 waterchange using AST. . So far.. Can see aros are calmer and no heavy breathing...

I am not expert.. people say good.. I try lor... anyway. Still have to buy AC right .. buy this or buy that .. depends on my mood when buying.. heheee. .
Anyway, only 3 water change experience. .

I will still stock AST and safe at home..

8 feet x 4 x 3 tank.. 50%water change weekly. I dose 75% of dosage when water starts going in.. when water rises from 50 to 70%. I put another ~ 75% of dosage..

So, I overdose by 30% to 50%.. which I think so far is ok..

Why 30 to 50%.. agar agar lah.. depends my trigger happy fingers that moment..
Epon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:39 AM   #115
arowana lover
Arofanatic

I have been using this new AC for a month now... So far so good... I had previouly been using Baxter AC... Occasionally during WC I will see my aro breathing heavily.... But now after using AST, hasn't seen any of this sympton... So I would say it is a good product... I am not analyst, so I have no statistics to backup... Happy Fishkeeping.
arowana lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:51 AM   #116
Brichardi
Dragon

I'm a skeptic but also not an obstinate fishkeeper....however does require some convincing....pls bear with me though.

I have been using Prime with very little problem and do 80% WC every few days, hence my costs for AC is about $30~$40 per month...based on Prime 4L at $93 bought from SV.

It is really good to see so many good feedbacks on AST, especially those that do heavy WC and direct topup from tap, not to mention used on sensitive fishes like rays. So the results (from feedbacks here) have proven that AST is indeed a good AC for fishes. Although I'm not keeping rays/aros but tanganyikans cichlids, I'm pretty sure AST would be a good replacement/alternative for Prime as long as the PRICE is right. Hence could some bros here kindly lemme know/pm where I can get the AST and at what price. If AST is as good as Prime (or even better), as long as the price is cheaper as comparable to Prime (dosage needed), I would gladly switch to using Prime in future....and would definitely recommend to friends to start using it too after I've tried it myself.

Thanks for sharing guys!
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:12 PM   #117
Liang_Zai
Senior Dragon

Wanted to get prime at sea view but out of stock so get the ast. boss say ast overall is more exp than prime in terms of dosage to treat water but it's good. btw when I open up its slimy.Any bros can confirm this?
Liang_Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #118
shalabin
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liang_Zai View Post
Wanted to get prime at sea view but out of stock so get the ast. boss say ast overall is more exp than prime in terms of dosage to treat water but it's good. btw when I open up its slimy.Any bros can confirm this?
Hi bro,

Yea the AC from AST is slimy like microbelift extreme.

Cheers
shalabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 06:51 PM   #119
eggy
Arofanatic

Do i need to dose anti chlorine the first time when i set up the tank and do tank cycling or only subsequent times when I do water change with fishes inside? thanks
eggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #120
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

Antichlorine should be dosed before adding any chlorinated water to a system. Try to be precise with dosage. While the active agents are pretty safe to overdose, it is always a good habit to be exact.
DragonFireSG is offline   Reply With Quote