Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 14-03-2005, 04:14 PM   #1
ZhiQiang

Default Questions on reactor...

Hi folks, i have questions regarding usage of reactors...

As a picture says a thousand words, hereby is a masterpiece by me...

My question is...

(1) Can my reactor be half way above the water level as shown in the picture above?

(2) I am using a dolphin C700 canister... Does the outlet of my canister fit into the inlet of the reactor?

Thanx folks... Please help...
Old 14-03-2005, 04:30 PM   #2
tanjy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhiQiang
Hi folks, i have questions regarding usage of reactors...

As a picture says a thousand words, hereby is a masterpiece by me...

My question is...

(1) Can my reactor be half way above the water level as shown in the picture above?

(2) I am using a dolphin C700 canister... Does the outlet of my canister fit into the inlet of the reactor?

Thanx folks... Please help...
It is ok for the reactor to be above the water. In fact some people fix it outside the tank ie filter out -> reactor -> tank, but need to tape or seal the reactor properly to prevent leaking. But you might want to inject co2 from bottom of reactor for more interaction between co2 and water.

can cut a piece of rubber hose to make adaptor if cannot fit..
Old 14-03-2005, 04:32 PM   #3
ZhiQiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanjy
It is ok for the reactor to be above the water. In fact some people fix it outside the tank ie filter out -> reactor -> tank, but need to tape or seal the reactor properly to prevent leaking. But you might want to inject co2 from bottom of reactor for more interaction between co2 and water.

ok...

thanx dude...
Old 15-03-2005, 11:15 AM   #4
blueray

hum...never thought of trying it out or above the water level but I think I saw before in the internet somewhere...not sure what the guy use to tape or seal the thing liao...this is the tricky part as I don't think you want end up water everywhere
Old 15-03-2005, 11:34 AM   #5
higher

The common problem with taking your reactor out of water is that the water level in it drops, causing an air pocket, so you're pretty much dissolving air along withyour Co2.

But if you can maintain a 100% airtight situation i think it might just work.

Cheers,
Jerome
Old 15-03-2005, 01:10 PM   #6
knoogy

I agree with Jerome there. But in any case if you were to make yr reactor air tight, might as well go all the way and make it an external reactor =) just a tot =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by higher
The common problem with taking your reactor out of water is that the water level in it drops, causing an air pocket, so you're pretty much dissolving air along withyour Co2.

But if you can maintain a 100% airtight situation i think it might just work.

Cheers,
Jerome
Old 15-03-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
ZhiQiang

hmm...

the problem now is that my water outlet is hitting onto the water surface. I have lowered the flow to minimise the amt of air being dissolve into the water.

Ok, i shall go to see whats the price of a external reactor.

Thanx folks...
Old 15-03-2005, 04:29 PM   #8
KPeck

Question here. So is the water output from the filter supposed to go to the top of the reactor or the bottom of the reactor? I am confused.
Old 15-03-2005, 04:30 PM   #9
KPeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanjy

Question here. So is the water output from the filter supposed to go to the top of the reactor or the bottom of the reactor? I am confused.
Old 15-03-2005, 05:01 PM   #10
knoogy

Top of the reactor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPeck