Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Aquatic Showcase & Photography > Aquatic Photography

Old 17-05-2002, 01:29 AM   #11
blackwater

Quite happy with this one also:

Taken at night with flash. Any comments?
Old 17-05-2002, 06:02 AM   #12
Alfredo

Talking Better at Night

I see better colours and shape in the photo at Night why?
maybe the artificial light improve the colours donīt you think so?
Old 17-05-2002, 08:29 AM   #13
CDM

Quote:
Originally posted by blackwater
Quite happy with this one also:

Taken at night with flash. Any comments?
This one is perfect, so what's the optimum parameters of your trick?
Old 17-05-2002, 09:04 AM   #14
blackwater

BTW, these 2 photos are of different fishes. After trying to take some photos last night, I am quite convinced that taking photos during the day will show truer colors.

Ok here is the deal. As we all know, there are limits to the exposure and flash compensation for all cameras. For my camera, FujiFilm FinePix 4700zoom, it allows +/-ev, +/-flash, white balance, ISO speed adjustments only when in manual mode.

So sometimes even at the lowest possible -ev and lowest possible flash compensation, the results are still not ideal mainly because the flash is still too strong. What I do is to put some paper in front of the flash to lower down the amount of flash. Just a common camera trick. But there is always a need to try different settings to get good results. But it is not foolproof, and does not always work.

I think if the water or lights are too strongly coloured, its very difficult to get a good pic at night coz it will all still turn out to have a reddish tinge to everything. In such cases, I think its still good to have some sunlight to provide as much white light as possible, instead of solely relying on the flash at night.

It seems that there are a couple of flash modes in my camera, dont really know what the difference is, will try it soon. There is "A", "S", normal and red eye. Wonder if A = aperture priority and S = Shutter priority.
Old 17-05-2002, 09:20 AM   #15
CDM

You really did a lots research works. But last one is perfect, it worth. I believe aro is the hardest target for photography.
A mode means fix aperture size and let camera decide the shutter speed. S mode means fix shutter speed and let camera decide the aperture size. But normally, this shutter/aperture setting are put on the main knob, not with the flash related setting??? So, let us know when you realize the real meaning.
Old 17-05-2002, 09:29 AM   #16
blackwater

Yea, I know about the aperture priority and shutter priority stuff, that why I am scratching my head over what are those 2 funny modes in the flash function.

Thanks CDM!

Damn! I really wishing that I have a good digital SLR so that I can have more control over the camera. Sometimes AF is a pain in the butt coz they dont know whether to focus on the glass or fish! Stupid camera! But then again, $$$$$ problems, ie not enough of it!!! Arrrgh!!!! Then again, there is a limit to the amount to zoom it allows. So often is the case that when I wanna take a close up, the damn camera just blurs! TOO NEAR!!! Arrrgh!!!!
Old 17-05-2002, 01:15 PM   #17
Mathew23

Default nice

Though I'm new to the fish photography..
I think havin a maunal camera would be the best for it..

i think using the boucin flash tact. should be not a prob.. to cut down alot on the flash and glare on the fish tank.. wat ever it was..

GOOD PIC.. hehe hope to see more of it
Old 17-05-2002, 01:53 PM   #18
CDM

hi mathew welcome, yes manual would be better, but that kind of camera always are of higher price, not easy to find the balance between price and performance when there're few fantacy aros to get...

Blackwater, I found in my Sony DSC-F707 that when in macro mode you can have as closer shot as near to 5 cm, but when under zooming mode, you can only have accurate focus when distance is larger than 20 cm (closer than 20 cm, the pics are blur).
Old 17-05-2002, 05:11 PM   #19
blackwater

I noticed that my camera is not very good when it comes to capturing details. This is a magic's photo of the 2nd fish. I think The colour difference is quite obvious. And the amount of detail it captures is also not very ideal.

This is the photo by magic of the first fish:

Looks like its time to change to a better camera. Or do you think that its the settings that is the culprit. I know I know, ultimately its the guy holding the camera that is the main culprit.
Old 20-05-2002, 09:22 AM   #20
CDM

hehehe, blackwater, either ways are ture leh...
The reason is when taking macro shots, less light into CCD, and the light condition is more critical for the marco shot, also the depth of focus is shorter. So, you can blame on our lousy digital camera, or on our unsteady hands.....
Yesterday, I saw a Pro digital camera which has a 2" diameter lens (ours maybe 1"), that will provide very HAPPY light condition. But, the price is >10000SG. So, maybe another one to blame is our small wallet....
One construtive idea is make our hands more steady such as do some weight-lifting exercise..... hehehe

Btw, the first aro is like a rainbow aro, what did you do to him??