Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 05-06-2009, 02:42 AM   #101
levy_tan@hotmai

Default any malawi keepers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnchen89 View Post
more rocks added... covered up my pump...

AND MY FRIEND'S TANK. THAT BUGGER REFUSES TO JOIN AF.

I used to be frantic about Malawis in particular peacocks (Aulonocara) till i decomm 4 yrs ago then go into Tanganyika and finally marine . When CF is around , you can get all the exotic ones including F0 (wild caught) but its ex range about $50~80/pc depends on variant and size.
Lately, i start visiting LFS again because i set up a small 2ft tanganyika tank for my son and was going around hunting for fishes. I'll provide some LFS that i come across who I shld consider selling nice Malawi's especially today Malawi's is almost thrown one side like feeder fish for most LFS.

Pseudotropheus Aurora - Saw this in Qian Hu about 3~4", beautiful, exotic and could be aggressive. Hard to find. Trade name "yellow/gold breast Mbuna. They have peacocks , Ahli and C.Moorii (Blue dolphin) also. About 3~4" (range from $8~$12)

Wu Hu aquarium (opp tiong bahru market) - Very good collection of nice peacocks.
Some breeds which i still can identify
- Aulonocara Maulana (Maulana Peacock) , one of my personal fav , very difficult to find nowadays , was shock to see one, and a very beautiful one.
-Aulonocara Benga (Benga Peacock), many ppl mistake this as Yellow peacock but they are not, their color are more rich , stunning and usually cover all the way to their face, very little blue on face.
- Aulonocara Rubescens (Red Peacock) , Rubescens has very vibrant red spread over the whole body and face, very little bue on face too.
- Aulonocara Kandeesis (Blue Orchid Peacocks) , Rare find, deep metallic purple throughout with a streak of white stretching all the way from the head to the back.
- Aulonocara Maylandi (Sulphur head Peacock) Rare, looks almost like Blue Peacock except sulphur yellow streak instead of white.

By the way , CS (ah pek) peacock mostly are cross bred becos he kept all in the same tank , so quite difficult to get "real one" from him. I used to buy dozens and dozens from him but give away later when i know more and more into this breed. Be careful oso, Haps when young looks like Peacock and he will sell you as peacocks. You can get true Ahli, C.Moorii and Mbunas from him. He has alot, anyway he oso supply to QianHu. So check both sides price. Another thing, if you let him take the pail and go to the pond and catch...he'll catch alot and non-stop and will persuade you to take all.

Copadichromis Borleyi- Borleyi. Seaview has quite a few , usually red. quite difficult to see yellow one nowadays. Actually the yellow is close to orange.

Just to share, marbles are hybrid , they could be haps or peacock and usually aggressive. if you want to know the diff, haps grows very fast and big and peacock much smaller.

I have 1 yellow labs , 1 marble and i red peacock , all about 1~ 1.5" to give away , you can PM me if you want .

Ex Malawi's fanatic.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:51 AM   #102
shawnchen89
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by levy_tan@hotmai View Post
I used to be frantic about Malawis in particular peacocks (Aulonocara) till i decomm 4 yrs ago then go into Tanganyika and finally marine . When CF is around , you can get all the exotic ones including F0 (wild caught) but its ex range about $50~80/pc depends on variant and size.
Lately, i start visiting LFS again because i set up a small 2ft tanganyika tank for my son and was going around hunting for fishes. I'll provide some LFS that i come across who I shld consider selling nice Malawi's especially today Malawi's is almost thrown one side like feeder fish for most LFS.

Pseudotropheus Aurora - Saw this in Qian Hu about 3~4", beautiful, exotic and could be aggressive. Hard to find. Trade name "yellow/gold breast Mbuna. They have peacocks , Ahli and C.Moorii (Blue dolphin) also. About 3~4" (range from $8~$12)

Wu Hu aquarium (opp tiong bahru market) - Very good collection of nice peacocks.
Some breeds which i still can identify
- Aulonocara Maulana (Maulana Peacock) , one of my personal fav , very difficult to find nowadays , was shock to see one, and a very beautiful one.
-Aulonocara Benga (Benga Peacock), many ppl mistake this as Yellow peacock but they are not, their color are more rich , stunning and usually cover all the way to their face, very little blue on face.
- Aulonocara Rubescens (Red Peacock) , Rubescens has very vibrant red spread over the whole body and face, very little bue on face too.
- Aulonocara Kandeesis (Blue Orchid Peacocks) , Rare find, deep metallic purple throughout with a streak of white stretching all the way from the head to the back.
- Aulonocara Maylandi (Sulphur head Peacock) Rare, looks almost like Blue Peacock except sulphur yellow streak instead of white.

By the way , CS (ah pek) peacock mostly are cross bred becos he kept all in the same tank , so quite difficult to get "real one" from him. I used to buy dozens and dozens from him but give away later when i know more and more into this breed. Be careful oso, Haps when young looks like Peacock and he will sell you as peacocks. You can get true Ahli, C.Moorii and Mbunas from him. He has alot, anyway he oso supply to QianHu. So check both sides price. Another thing, if you let him take the pail and go to the pond and catch...he'll catch alot and non-stop and will persuade you to take all.

Copadichromis Borleyi- Borleyi. Seaview has quite a few , usually red. quite difficult to see yellow one nowadays. Actually the yellow is close to orange.

Just to share, marbles are hybrid , they could be haps or peacock and usually aggressive. if you want to know the diff, haps grows very fast and big and peacock much smaller.

I have 1 yellow labs , 1 marble and i red peacock , all about 1~ 1.5" to give away , you can PM me if you want .

Ex Malawi's fanatic.
really insightful, thanks for ur input... i guessed the cichlids at CS would be hybrids cos when they net it up, there's always a mixture of different fish in the same pond..

seems like i gotta head down to wuhu soon..

i love marbles even though they might be hybrids, jus cos they can change over time..
shawnchen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #103
seagul
Arofanatic

Thanks for the great input. Time to go down to Wuhu and check it out.
seagul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:26 AM   #104
shawnchen89
Senior Dragon

went down to wuhu yesterday, kinda disappointing really... the small wans they had were really badly taken care of, and the big wans in the display tank were not exactly too fantastic either...
shawnchen89 is offline   Reply With Quote