Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum

Old 22-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Yutops79

Default Need Advices - Breeding

Hi,

Do you keep the new born fries with it mother?

Will the females guppy feed on their youngs?

Thanks!
Old 22-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
Brichardi
Dragon

No bud, guppies are cannibalistic so u have to separate the fries whenever possible. Hence it's better to have a breeder box where the female laid the fries and the fries drop to the underneath compartment so the mother cannot eat them.
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
Rutilans
User Under Moderation

Or take out the frys
U seriously did not read up on them before buying them
Rutilans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
Hogdog

There are several methods you can use. Guppies are cannibalistic but that doesn't mean that they always have to be separated.

I use a variation of the colony method, I keep the fry in with the mother/ female colony (I use just one selected male in each female colony). I find that breeding boxes stress the mother out too much and in the early days I lost a few females unnecessarily because of them. I use a heavily planted tank to give the fry somewhere to hide. I use java moss and anubis, mature anubis plants have a very substantial root structure that allows babies to hide...You'll never get the same survival rate as you will separating fry and adults but the strong, mobile fry will survive, as they do in the wild. It works for me, I get a reasonable survival rate, I don't need as many tanks and it's low maintenance.

I also find that females that are raised in colonies tend to have reduced cannibalistic tendencies.

You can also make artificial hiding places with netting, plant pots, bogwood etc.
Old 22-12-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
Brichardi
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogdog View Post
There are several methods you can use. Guppies are cannibalistic but that doesn't mean that they always have to be separated.

I use a variation of the colony method, I keep the fry in with the mother/ female colony (I use just one selected male in each female colony). I find that breeding boxes stress the mother out too much and in the early days I lost a few females unnecessarily because of them. I use a heavily planted tank to give the fry somewhere to hide. I use java moss and anubis, mature anubis plants have a very substantial root structure that allows babies to hide...You'll never get the same survival rate as you will separating fry and adults but the strong, mobile fry will survive, as they do in the wild. It works for me, I get a reasonable survival rate, I don't need as many tanks and it's low maintenance.

I also find that females that are raised in colonies tend to have reduced cannibalistic tendencies.
Your method works too but only if u want to 1) "heavily planted tank" & "use java moss and anubis, mature anubis plants have a very substantial root structure that allows babies to hide" 2) " the strong, mobile fry will survive".

Also, female stressed if separated but only abit and if u planned well to remove/separate her ONLY PRIOR to giving birth. Also the chances of fries surviving is on the very high side if not close to 100%. Finally, you don't need many tanks, just 1 extra pail/container to accommodate the new fries. Guppy fries are hardy, don't even need aeration tbh.
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Yutops79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brichardi View Post
Your method works too but only if u want to 1) "heavily planted tank" & "use java moss and anubis, mature anubis plants have a very substantial root structure that allows babies to hide" 2) " the strong, mobile fry will survive".

Also, female stressed if separated but only abit and if u planned well to remove/separate her ONLY PRIOR to giving birth. Also the chances of fries surviving is on the very high side if not close to 100%. Finally, you don't need many tanks, just 1 extra pail/container to accommodate the new fries. Guppy fries are hardy, don't even need aeration tbh.

Thank Guys!!
Old 23-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
Ircknight
Dragon

Reading about method either you have a very big tank like 3ft tank with 1 female might work also.

But i do keep the fries and mother in diff tank after drop using a 1ft tank both still alive ;p
Ircknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 12:52 AM   #8
Sgguppylover
Arofanatic

It depends on your female fish.I have seen cases of female fish not eating the fries at all and also cases of female fish munching on their babies.To be on the safe side, i will just isolate the female in a plastic tank and add some rocks to create small holes for fries to hide.Plants are also good to provide coverage for the fries.Have fun keeping guppies and with every drop, you will just get poisoned deeper.
Sgguppylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 01:34 AM   #9
cartoon
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yutops79 View Post
Hi,

Do you keep the new born fries with it mother?

Will the females guppy feed on their youngs?

Thanks!
Hi bro,
1) try not to keep new born with it's mum.
2) yes, they will feast on the young most of the time.

If u do not hv spare tanks to house them seperately, u may try using hornwort. U can just throw them in floating or tie to a weight. Good luck.
cartoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
hateshot

I tried putting plants with inside the tank, but after I came back from a short trip to batam, There's only like 4 fry left..

time to use a breeding box instead..