Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 27-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #21
Jonathan_ee
Dragon

Stunning setup and awesome photography, TFS bro!
Jonathan_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #22
johannes

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
Loving the blackwater bro When you showcasing your cichlid setups?
soon soon...
leaving the American continent and currently 80% in Africa....
Old 27-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #23
hengyi86

Very nice set up, saw your thread in another forum, adoketa whole batch from Jzx?
Old 27-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #24
sixthbrand
Dragon

Nice setup yx! Is this the tank you were talking about the other night?
sixthbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #25
illumnae
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hengyi86 View Post
Very nice set up, saw your thread in another forum, adoketa whole batch from Jzx?
Nope not whole batch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthbrand View Post
Nice setup yx! Is this the tank you were talking about the other night?
Nope this is a new one, the other night was talking about office tank.
illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #26
frontosa
Dragon

Bro,

Another stunner from you! Hit me right on the spot! I have always been partial to bio-tope setups but am too lazy to chase it the whole 9 yards like you - KUDOS!!

Lovely lovely setup and truly inspirational. You are right we have always been hampered by the limited availability in the market to pursue proper biotope setups. I agree that one will need to do lots of research on the flora and fauna, then go hunt for them but the results certainly do pay off. Unfortunately I am too tied up nowadays to chase up this interest and mostly grab whatever I see closest.....good enough for me

Really like that dangling roots effect from the floating plants.....adds so much presence to the dark-water setup.
frontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #27
illumnae
Dragon

Thanks for your kind comments bro! You were one of the forerunners in keeping biotope style tanks locally before they became popular I remember being inspired by your tanks previously as well as quix's.

The temptation to replace biotope-correct fish with close available fish is definitely very overwhelming, and I have done so too with my discus set ups. However, when setting up this tank, I thought I'd go back to try what I used to enjoy most and true enough, it's still the most satisfying for me

Hopefully you'll have time to update us soon on your tanks! How's the EE tank doing?
Old 29-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #28
nande
Dragon

Bro, I tried the caribsea crystal sand it's beautiful! just wondering something... do you notice your adoketas eat the sand? They ocassionally look through the sand and pick out the whitest grains and eat it... sometimes they spit out immediately sometimes they don't. Is there something edible in the sand? i didnt add the magnet solution that comes with the sand, and im sure its not uneaten food. in fact i can see specks of the whitest grains that i know is what they will go for...Do yours exhibit this weird behavior? By the way I love this sand its fantastic
nande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #29
frontosa
Dragon

Hah lost my Daemons and most of the population couple months back.....introduced some bad tetras I think.

Now reset button .....
frontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #30
illumnae
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nande View Post
Bro, I tried the caribsea crystal sand it's beautiful! just wondering something... do you notice your adoketas eat the sand? They ocassionally look through the sand and pick out the whitest grains and eat it... sometimes they spit out immediately sometimes they don't. Is there something edible in the sand? i didnt add the magnet solution that comes with the sand, and im sure its not uneaten food. in fact i can see specks of the whitest grains that i know is what they will go for...Do yours exhibit this weird behavior? By the way I love this sand its fantastic
Nope mine don't eat sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontosa View Post
Hah lost my Daemons and most of the population couple months back.....introduced some bad tetras I think.

Now reset button .....
Best time to start up a biotope tank after reset, no? Recently a number of uncommon Satanoperca are available in the market, maybe build a tank around those?