Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 12-12-2010, 02:04 AM   #31
Young Man
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
They all eating well, and I added a Tanga cat today to nibble on the leftovers.
Colours are starting to lighten.
Trying to shift the rocks around to get the best visual effect as well as to be practical. I think I need something to sweep the dirt into the filter. A lot of DIY and "sun now chin" stuff.
mod post some pics leh.. hehehe very gian to see your moba's progress (:
why not try adding a wavemaker or powerhead to sweep the debri and dirt?
Young Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 01:54 PM   #32
frontosa
Dragon

Wow...this tank really making my neck long long.....still eagerly anticipating the pics...
frontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 02:51 AM   #33
Spakase

Solly, solly, I very slow in taking pics.

Anyway, my fishes have all settled down marvellously. Some jumping and scales lost but no life threatening incident so far.

The blue starting to come out again, and I have gotten one Multipunctatus from NKS plus like a dozen lookalikes from Seaview to eat up the leftovers.

All fishes are on MP, the Mobas dive for the food, and any excess is taken out immediately.
Will update, gimme some time lar!
Old 20-12-2010, 06:56 AM   #34
Betta Mania

Thumbs up

Quote:
Well, I got my substrate today and dumped it in the tank, Dennerle don't need washing.

Got the rocks in, pebbles, everything. But looks a bit dishevelled.

Soon, will be posting pics, fishes a bit stressed, I think it is likely the nitrite but precautions have been taken, however, the colours are somewhat off. When the sand went into the tank, the fishes lightened up a bit.

This has been a dream tank for me for a long time, and the Alpha is really something!

Your description of your male causes stress to your fellow frontosa hobbyists. We are anxiously waiting like a husband whose wife is in the delivery ward...(LOL!...ha ha ha) Tension is really killing Peter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontosa View Post
Wow...this tank really making my neck long long.....still eagerly anticipating the pics...
We all can relate to our broFrontosa's anxiety and tension......when will the "unveiling" of this masterpiece bro???....Hope it iwill be before or byu Christmas. I believe it has been long enough. ....at least by New Year. Start 2011 with a magnificent and breath taking setup. We are all witing with bated breath!...ha ha ha!!!

Quote:
Solly, solly, I very slow in taking pics.

Anyway, my fishes have all settled down marvellously. Some jumping and scales lost but no life threatening incident so far.

The blue starting to come out again, and I have gotten one Multipunctatus from NKS plus like a dozen lookalikes from Seaview to eat up the leftovers.

All fishes are on MP, the Mobas dive for the food, and any excess is taken out immediately.
Will update, gimme some time lar!
Bro, guess like what a poster outside some shops that aree boarded upfor renovation...... "good things take time...", guess where it comes to your Tanga /Moba set up .."Great things even longer".... Bro Frontosa's neck like giraffe now, eh?!? LOL ( Just joking only Peter - in good jest only mod.) . We are all truly waiting for the unwrapping of your Christmas gift to your fellow hfrontosa hobbyist especially with your running commentries posted and your descriptions. . BTW Merry Christmas!!

Last edited by Betta Mania; 20-12-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 21-12-2010, 01:21 AM   #35
Spakase

Pics here.
Old 21-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #36
dannyyeo
Arofanatic

Default Frontosa

Mod saw ur setup really love it.Like to ask a question. Will a tank size 12 mm thickness measuring 5 ft by 2.5 width by 2 height able to withstand the weight of the stone and sand cos i feel like going into frontosa?Thanks. Currently i have 2 tanks sitting on a black stand( top and below)
dannyyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 11:12 PM   #37
Betta Mania

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyyeo View Post
Mod saw ur setup really love it.Like to ask a question. Will a tank size 12 mm thickness measuring 5 ft by 2.5 width by 2 height able to withstand the weight of the stone and sand cos i feel like going into frontosa?Thanks. Currently i have 2 tanks sitting on a black stand( top and below)
Bro , saw your post and to answer your question, I have also a 5x2.5x2.5 tank with 12mm glass housing Zaire Blues. I have in it two boulders, couple of large coral rocks, 2" black sand plus odd and end pebbels coral chip etc. Attached pic for you - so what's holding you up bro, go amd get yourself some frontosas and join us.

I beleive (IMHO) those who are poisoned by these fishes have no regrets and g;ad to own such heavenly beauties. My only regret is not going into Frontosas and Tangas earlier! LOL!!!

Last edited by Betta Mania; 18-02-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 22-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #38
Spakase

Quote:
There is a drawback on having too many stones and boulders in a tank, it takes up a lot of swimming space, and it also hides uneaten food and debris.
The rocks serve two purposes, an environment that resembles the wild, secondly, for fishes to escape from conflicts (hiding places).

In my case, I noticed the gibbs have got along well, hence I did'nt put in hiding places. For hiding places, the ones Ron is using is very good as the gibbs can swim into caves and hide behind them. I don't have those.

The weight of rocks would add further weight to the water in the tank, hence it is not so advisable to add too much, and besides it may make the tank look very cluttered. A little here and plenty of sand/gravel makes the tank look very clean with a touch of the wild. I like rocks with lines, seems to remind me of cliffs, hence I pick those with these features. Each person has their own taste and liking, before I started, I googled for clues but didn't really find a lot of inspiration close to my heart, hence eventually dreamed up my own biotope. It leads me to think that each tank bears the character of the owner, of what he has seen, liked and what he believes in.

To prepare the rocks, I submerged the rocks in a solution of potassium permanganate for a hour. Then used a new toothbrush (medium, hard is better) to run through the rock surfaces, scrubbing a few times in the same area. This is to clear the external dirt clinging onto the rock. Next, hot water is poured onto the rock to take out any micro organism or parasites that have emerged due to the PP immersion.
Old 22-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #39
dannyyeo
Arofanatic

Default moba

Hi is it possible to keep a colony of moba in a bare tank?
dannyyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #40
steya
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikapig View Post
sorry to hijack for 1 question..

may i know which nursery?

interested to add abit more rocks to my tank too

U can try unit 10 & 14 at the kovan nursery bro.
steya is offline   Reply With Quote