Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 12-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
tanysderek
Arofanatic

Default Sick discus

I got 1 turquoise discus in my com, the colour turned darker last few days and it seems to not be eating much. Also it doesn't swim as much as the rest. Anyone can advise what type of sickness this is and the medication to treat?
tanysderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
rebus

Is it comm with other discus or other types of fishes? Observe the poo of the fish to see if it is white. I suspect it to be internal bacteria. Time to deworm your fish.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
oscar77
Dragon

The fish breath with one side of the gill or both side? Secondly, cotton look a like thing on the body?
oscar77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 02:06 AM   #4
tanysderek
Arofanatic

Just a small spot of cotton like near the gills. It is com with 7 other discus. All the rest are ok. Only this one suddenly turn darker and eating and swimming very little. Most of the time just stay in one corner.
Old 13-10-2010, 03:06 AM   #5
hengyi86

Saw a medication for discus when they turn black. will check it out and let u know tomorrow. or u cant wait u can go to a lfs and check it out with them
Old 13-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
Discus Oasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanysderek View Post
Just a small spot of cotton like near the gills. It is com with 7 other discus. All the rest are ok. Only this one suddenly turn darker and eating and swimming very little. Most of the time just stay in one corner.
Hi Bro,

Have test the pH level of your com tank? How often u WC.
Old 13-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #7
tanysderek
Arofanatic

I don't test the ph of the water anymore as the tank has been stable for more than 6 months already. I do 50% water change weekly only as I don't feed beef heart. Diet consists of tetra bits and frozen blood worms. The rest of the 7 discus are doing good. Just don't know why this one suddenly turn sick. As I don't have a spare tank, I can't take it out to quarantine and treat it. I did my last water change and added lots of salt. Hopefully condition will improve.
Old 13-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #8
Discus Oasis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanysderek View Post
I don't test the ph of the water anymore as the tank has been stable for more than 6 months already. I do 50% water change weekly only as I don't feed beef heart. Diet consists of tetra bits and frozen blood worms. The rest of the 7 discus are doing good. Just don't know why this one suddenly turn sick. As I don't have a spare tank, I can't take it out to quarantine and treat it. I did my last water change and added lots of salt. Hopefully condition will improve.
Hi Bro,

We have very diff way of keeping discus. I do WC everyday even if i don't feed BH. From what i understand Discus turn dark due to Stress. u may want to observe the following:

1) Still eating?
2) White Poo poo?
3) Mucus from the body?
4) Water turn very smelly?

Hope it can help u to narrow down the root cause.
Old 13-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
kelvinnwk

bro, is yur turquoise the weaker fishes in the comm, any signs of clamped fins or sunken stomache ??
Old 13-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #10
oscar77
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discus Oasis View Post
Hi Bro,

Have test the pH level of your com tank? How often u WC.
If PH shock, it will affect the whole tank and not individual. I still suspect gill flukes. TS, check if it breathing only with one side of the gill.
oscar77 is offline   Reply With Quote