Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 12-06-2011, 04:39 AM   #1
nid

Default Sump tank questions

New to sump tank, current my new tank is 5x2.5x2 using eos with bio ball in that compartment, pump is ehiem 1262. pipe for water flowing down is short near the bottom.

Problems I'm facing

Cannot open vale full because of loud sucking noise, max only abt 70% to 80%, suspect my pump is not powerful enough to fill that area, would removing the bio balls help? Should I just leave it at this setting?

Noisy humming frm pump, could be unavoidable but still like to ask if its normal, its not really loud but and hear clearly frm quite far.

Splashing noise from eos, can it be reduced by placing jap mats? Would it be advisable? Also thought of placing some bh there to increase the height of media to as close as the flow as possible to reduce sound, would it work or will it slow down my flow rate further?

Feeders getting into eos, I suspect frm the under flow, how should I cover it to prevent this, or should I just buy bigger feeders haha.

Lastly, my light doesn't fit into my tank nicely once I put the hood on, how do u guys get ard it, also thought of changing to LED to reduce heat but wry not bright enough, any thoughts?

Sry for so many noobie questions, thks for everyones help.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #2
redbasser

Sound problem.

Filling that compartment with media (jap mat/ BH) can make the sound go away.
BUT after some time, dirt and waste will accumulate there & it would be very difficult to remove those media for cleaning.

Durso standpipes will work but you will need to get your hands dirty and DIY.

Feeders problem
fix a comb or plastic mesh (available at DIY shops) at the entrance of EOS to prevent them from going in.

Lighting problem.
Get shorter lights to fit into the hood.

or use glass to cover your tank & place light on top of glass (don't use the hood )

Last edited by redbasser; 12-06-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
cire

ehiem pumps shld be quite slient, can try to take out the impeller and fix it back again... maybe can put some wool underneath the pump for less vibration also
Old 13-06-2011, 02:29 AM   #4
nid

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbasser View Post
Sound problem.

Filling that compartment with media (jap mat/ BH) can make the sound go away.
BUT after some time, dirt and waste will accumulate there & it would be very difficult to remove those media for cleaning.

Durso standpipes will work but you will need to get your hands dirty and DIY.

Feeders problem
fix a comb or plastic mesh (available at DIY shops) at the entrance of EOS to prevent them from going in.

Lighting problem.
Get shorter lights to fit into the hood.

or use glass to cover your tank & place light on top of glass (don't use the hood )
Thks for the advise bro, dun really understand the durso system, all I have seen abt it is that its a inverted U pipe, is that correct?

Anyway I didn't think it through when I placed the tank and now that its running I realised that I lack the space to get to the EOS compartment easily, guess I gotta live with the sound since its impossible to clean everything in there without going into the tank.

Also can advise how to attach a comb to the underflow on a running tank, cannot drain the tank to silicon it anymore, any other easy way? I was thinking suction cups but very ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cire View Post
ehiem pumps shld be quite slient, can try to take out the impeller and fix it back again... maybe can put some wool underneath the pump for less vibration also
Not sure if its just a normal hum, but can hear it faintly with the tv on(tank abt 1m frm tank) would like to put jap mat or something but that means cutting the pipe which I wry I might spoil everything.

Last edited by nid; 13-06-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old 13-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

the humming shld be normal pump operating humming. im using a 1264 and the humming is quite audible...
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
redbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nid View Post

Also can advise how to attach a comb to the underflow on a running tank, cannot drain the tank to silicon it anymore, any other easy way? I was thinking suction cups but very ugly.

Don't think its possible to do silicon with a running tank.

Maybe can try and squeeze a piece of Jap mat at the entrance to the EOS?
Old 14-06-2011, 01:11 AM   #7
nid

Quote:
Originally Posted by issacyeo View Post
the humming shld be normal pump operating humming. im using a 1264 and the humming is quite audible...
Really? If thats the case then maybe I'm worrying too much. Itt will savee me a lot of hassle if nothing is wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbasser View Post
Don't think its possible to do silicon with a running tank.

Maybe can try and squeeze a piece of Jap mat at the entrance to the EOS?
Yah, know cannot silicon, thats why looking for alternatives. I think jap mat will dirty too fast, but I will keep it as a option, its a gd idea.
Old 14-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nid View Post
Really? If thats the case then maybe I'm worrying too much. Itt will savee me a lot of hassle if nothing is wrong.
hhmm... there's a slight difference tho. ur using in a sump tank, means submerged in water. im using on 2260 canister, means in the open air. my humming shld be more audible than urs. usually submerged in water shld be quiet leh...
Old 15-06-2011, 12:58 AM   #9
e.chua
Arofanatic

My 1262 also have the humming sound. The sound seem to have softer a bit after using it for about 10 months. Or maybe is I had already get use to it.
e.chua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #10
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.chua View Post
My 1262 also have the humming sound. The sound seem to have softer a bit after using it for about 10 months. Or maybe is I had already get use to it.
lolz! bro, i think u got used to it liao. actually my parents oso got used to the 1264 humming alry, just about 6mths only...