Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 04-03-2005, 02:52 PM   #41
dt8666

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRoC00l
I think it's overloaded because of your power factor of yr MH.

Possible solutions:
(1) Change the capacitor
(2) Get a normal mechanical time: The Ben and wire it up to a highloading industrial contactor for control. I am using this and the contactor only cost me $18
So total setup for 1 MH is roughly $40++
Bro,
For the past, those timer that fail on me are running on very simple and small current devices. The main failure is not from the switch but the timer itself!

Good info on your solution but from $ncents point of view, 40++ with another $10 standard timer will add up close to the timer that I paid for. I would go for the Ind timer in this case.

BTW, the contactor you refer to is Relay??
Old 05-03-2005, 11:47 AM   #42
ZeRoC00l

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt8666
Bro,
For the past, those timer that fail on me are running on very simple and small current devices. The main failure is not from the switch but the timer itself!

Good info on your solution but from $ncents point of view, 40++ with another $10 standard timer will add up close to the timer that I paid for. I would go for the Ind timer in this case.

BTW, the contactor you refer to is Relay??
Nope. Not a relay. A contactor. It's for high loading equipment like motors, etc. Can control 2 or more with add on contact points. This is a similar example

The timer is only controlling the contactor so no high current is flowing through it. So there is little chance for it to fail. You're running the MH vis the timer hence high current flows through the poor little fellow.

I go my method cos it's cheaper. 1 light saves $10 but if i buy add on contacts, thus i'll save $$$$ for multiple lights tt i have. Still using 1 timer, and controlling 2 or more MH tt swich on/off at the same times.
Old 19-03-2005, 11:33 PM   #43
dt8666

Just updated the timer with ELCB and 3 pin socket. Using a bigger box that houses 1 x ELCB, 4 x timer and 4 x socket. No more messy cables. Now all in one box and in action!

Costly but now have the feel of peace of mind...
Old 20-03-2005, 12:24 AM   #44
aCe^bOwleRz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt8666
Just updated the timer with ELCB and 3 pin socket. Using a bigger box that houses 1 x ELCB, 4 x timer and 4 x socket. No more messy cables. Now all in one box and in action!

Costly but now have the feel of peace of mind...
Hi bro,

How much would the whole thing cost you just like what you have now?
Maybe can PM me the price if you don't wish to reveal it here.