Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 01-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
SIOWARO
Dragon

Default 24hr water dripping method still need bio filter?

Hi bro, what you think? Is it necessary to have bio filter system if running a 24hr Dirrect water dripping system that work out 50% new water will be in to the tank.share your thought please.
SIOWARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #2
tco
Dragon

Imo ammonia will be present in water especially after feeding, dripping will not clear it fast enough...fishes might get ammonia poison...still need bio filter to convert ammonia to no2 then no3, dripping will help to reduce no3..just my 2 cents.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
tco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
Hershley
Endangered Dragon

interesting to see this drip system. But with 50% new water from tap will it kill the fish ?

Care to show your setup if its already in place? Thanks.
Hershley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #4
SIOWARO
Dragon

Currently have this set up but is with sump.( bought as 2nd hand tank set)

Have this thought is becoz , when I started keeping aros many years back, only use a Otto 1500l/hr internal power head filter pump, changing of water 30-40% per week, and fish are healthy and grow well.
SIOWARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:25 AM   #5
Hershley
Endangered Dragon

i think it could b a great idea depending on the size of ur setup n number of livestock u have to decide the percentage of water chg. pretty risky move imho.

but 1500L/h mathes seems to be a "can do"
Hershley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:10 AM   #6
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Mind sharing how to control the water conditioner usage for such a 24/7 drip method?
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:24 AM   #7
Nidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
Mind sharing how to control the water conditioner usage for such a 24/7 drip method?
There are 2 simple ways. One, run ur drip for an aging barrel and treat the water as u top up the water. Two, run it through a per-filter so no conditioner is even needed.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
six0one
Arofanatic

I once contemplated using the drip system for my new tank setup but decided against that as I feel that the reason for WC is to remove toxic substances like ammonia/nitrate/nitrite. I may be wrong but I feel the drip system does not cater to the removal of toxic substances unlike an actual water change where foul water is removed before the introduction of new water.
Nonetheless, having a drip system does not mean there is no need for biological filtration as you may experience spikes in water parameter in its absence.
six0one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
TuNA
Dragon

I am guessing that the dripping system is similar to a very very slow water change which should cause less stress to the fishes in terms of water parameter differences.
TuNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
gereld_hor
Endangered Dragon

u will need to consider your feeding regiment as well.. if u ar feeding foods that is more oily or messy (mp, fish meat, pork) and ur bio load is high, then the dripping method alone would nt be enough.. the water parameter will spike up fast and might cause shock to ur aros..

On the other hand i have seen many farms and bros doing without any filter except for juz a small spoonge filter with powerhead.. but they ar doing twice a day 80% water change together with dripping method
gereld_hor is offline   Reply With Quote