Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Closed Thread

Old 15-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #31
nathan tan
Arofanatic

Update Y618: 4 Palembangs left
Old 15-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #32
Discus Ø

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagy382 View Post
Sorry bro dont mean to imply anything but its questionable that your Fahaka died the moment you brought him home. Just want to learn more about puffers

-What meds did you use to treat the ich/torn fin bro? Whats the layout of your tank like? (Aeration, decor, cycled,pH, tankmates).

i use melafix told by the man at Y618, my tank only 1ft tank with a hang-on filter, nothing inside as it is a holding tank, i add about 2ml of melafix into the tank

- Did you feed him anything?

no feeding is done

-Was he swimming ard when you bought him at the LFS? or your house?

not swimming much, just floating aroung, when he reach my 1ft tank he around floating at the surface, look really wrong.

- Did he look bloated when he died?

nono, just normal

Den again, it could be on the brink of death and the stress from transporting him from the LFS to your house might have killed him.
-What meds did you use to treat the ich/torn fin bro? Whats the layout of your tank like? (Aeration, decor, cycled,pH, tankmates).

i use melafix told by the man at Y618, my tank only 1ft tank with a hang-on filter, nothing inside as it is a holding tank, i add about 2ml of melafix into the tank

not swimming much, just floating aroung, when he reach my 1ft tank he around floating at the surface, look really wrong.

no feeding is done

nono, just normal

Old 15-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #33
Discus Ø

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshman View Post
bro Discus Ø...

DP - imo a little too small for 3ft tank.. However, if u are doing up a nice planted setup, then go for this cute tiny puffer.

SAP - extremely beautiful.. but not very common. Have some patience.. puffer season shd be on its way. A handful..perhaps 5 would be nice in a 3ft semi-planted.

Figure 8 - another beauty. Brackish setup isn't too difficult if u are well-versed in freshwater management. As mentioned by bro shagy382, tonnes of info available online. Partly due to the popularity in angmoh countries..maybe also becos they don't have much variety to choose from.
Soooooo hard to choose...i really scare of the teeth problem, anyone have cut the teeth of your puffer before?
teeth problem aside, the above 3 type is really nice to keep in my 3 ft..really hard to make up my mind...
need more advise before i can make up my mind.... HELP PLEASE........

Old 15-06-2010, 08:47 PM   #34
Freshman
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discus Ø View Post
need more advise before i can make up my mind.... HELP PLEASE........
relax bro.. the teeth 'problem' isn't that scary lah. Preventable and curable.

Feed it the proper correct type of food...food found in its natural habitats

Put some stone..rocks..coral chips.. the puffer will OTOT go help to trim its teeth.. (My ex-fahaka don't really have teeth problem despite on mainly MP and pellets diet.. It will chew and crush all the coral chips..airstone.. even powerhead it also go bite.. Could be also due to boredom or it might just want to trim its growing teeth. )

Take ur time to read/think thru first lah..
meanwhile.. maintain ur tank(keep some feeder/random fish).. or cycled ur tank if u haven't..

For me, I go for brackish setup. There's quite a number of brackish fish u can find in LFS.. e.g. bumblebee gobies.. mono..archers.. to comm with ur brackish puffers.
- figure 8 (can start from this.. lowest brackish need...ard 1.005)
- green spotted
- ceylon
- sabahensis
- milk spotted (this 1 i not too sure.. read that it belongs to the very high end brackish..or is it saltwater?? really not sure.. but it is a very beautiful puffer)

** do not mix species..

Cheers!
Old 16-06-2010, 12:06 AM   #35
shagy382

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discus Ø View Post

no feeding is done

nono, just normal
Floating at the surface is always an indication of death..Yea i guess melafix can be added but it wont cure the Ich. When you set up ur 3ft tank for the puffer of your choice, do provide a certain amount of aeration. If hes floating ard the surface it could be an indication of air in the body.

Point to note is that whenver u ta bao ur puffers from the LFS, dont use a net to catch em..instead just use a container and scoop them up so that you dont expose dem to air. Sick puffers are bound to bloat up when you do that and because they are sick, they have much more problem expelling the air out of their bodies. Therefore this will lead to their death eventually.

Happy puffing bro

Old 16-06-2010, 12:11 AM   #36
shagy382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshman View Post
For me, I go for brackish setup. There's quite a number of brackish fish u can find in LFS.. e.g. bumblebee gobies.. mono..archers.. to comm with ur brackish puffers.
- figure 8 (can start from this.. lowest brackish need...ard 1.005)
- green spotted
- ceylon
- sabahensis
- milk spotted (this 1 i not too sure.. read that it belongs to the very high end brackish..or is it saltwater?? really not sure.. but it is a very beautiful puffer)

** do not mix species..

Cheers!
Ceylons need full marine condition eventually so its rather troublesome. Sabahensis looks abit like a ceylon lol and its not that common in our LFS. I would recommend GSPs cause they look really attractive lol

If you intend to keep puffers den there will always be this teething problem. Just put stuff for the puffer to chew on like Freshman recommended and you dont have to keep looking at ur puffer to see if their teeth is overgrown. If you dont see a rabbit in your tank den you are good to go lol

About comming with puffers..GSPs are rather agressive fish among the brackish puffers and might attack other fishes like gobies etc.. So do take note about that

Old 16-06-2010, 08:49 PM   #37
shagy382

Puffer update:

C328

2 Fahakas (2inches) - 16 dollars each
8 Palembangs, nt sure how much

Tons of dwarf puffers

Old 16-06-2010, 09:12 PM   #38
Freshman
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagy382 View Post
About comming with puffers..GSPs are rather agressive fish among the brackish puffers and might attack other fishes like gobies etc.. So do take note about that
ya..GSP fierce..
that's why I recommend figure 8 to bro Discus.. as the chance of a successful comm is slight highly..

Sabahensis... quite rare ah.. only seen in twice during my short fish keeping days.. Both time also big huge ones (probably wild caught).. got the blur look.. machiam like a gentle giant..
Old 16-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #39
Magnumchoy
Arofanatic

damn sad, my fahaka passed on me. Seems to be fine and eating well the day before. Just last night seem to behave weird, not feeding and colours are dark. Stomach seems weird and cannot find any trace of poo.

Suspect indigestion problem as stomach looks bloated and pointy at the rear. Faster change water and tried to reduce stress hoping it will be fine today, but came home from work and it passed. Just ordered a brand new 422 and brand new equipments for it... god must be playing a joke on me.

Last edited by Magnumchoy; 16-06-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 16-06-2010, 10:34 PM   #40
Freshman
Dragon

Oh no.. sadz.. May it RIP..

have u tested the water parameters?
What was its last few meals?
Closed Thread