Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 14-04-2009, 02:39 AM   #101
Jeff_Leow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimkeat View Post
i wonder how do u guys keep temp <25 degC using fan
my fan cooled tank never reached below 26 degC even on the coolest days > <
i doubt using fan can maintain water temp at below 25 deg... fan only lower 1-2 deg... last time i use fan, but only manage to go down till 28 deg...
Old 14-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #102
highlander_den

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Leow View Post
i doubt using fan can maintain water temp at below 25 deg... fan only lower 1-2 deg... last time i use fan, but only manage to go down till 28 deg...
Using fan can achieved 25 deg C. I saw it with on my previous tank, but only during the colder period in Singapore. On average, using a fan should be around 27~28 deg C. During the hotter days in Singapore, I think maybe even higher a bit.

But then, it all depends on your living place. If your living place is very windy, that might helps.

Correct me on the next: I heard that people staying lower level of a HDB flat have cooler temp compare to those staying on the higher level. How true is this?

On the whole, using a fan can achieved 2~3 deg C below surrounding temp, but the temp can move up and down a lot, depending on surrounding temp.
Old 14-04-2009, 11:11 AM   #103
rainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander_den View Post
Using fan can achieved 25 deg C. I saw it with on my previous tank, but only during the colder period in Singapore. On average, using a fan should be around 27~28 deg C. During the hotter days in Singapore, I think maybe even higher a bit.

But then, it all depends on your living place. If your living place is very windy, that might helps.

Correct me on the next: I heard that people staying lower level of a HDB flat have cooler temp compare to those staying on the higher level. How true is this?

On the whole, using a fan can achieved 2~3 deg C below surrounding temp, but the temp can move up and down a lot, depending on surrounding temp.
I'm curious about what you said as well, with regards to cooler ambient temp on lower levels. i live on the second floor, with no direct sunlight except for maybe between 4-5PM, and my 6gal tanks never go above 26c WITHOUT the use of fans during the day. For those with the fan on, temp is at 24-25c. It's not even windy in my place as i keep all the windows closed when i'm at work.

you're right about using fans though.. in the end, it's all about how many degrees it can shave off from your ambient temp, and the humidity level at that point in time. also, temp tends to fluctuate depending on its surroundings..
Old 14-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #104
jetset

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman View Post
Found two more berried females.. here's one of them, a golden.. i'm especially proud of this one cos she's my first golden offspring that got berried
There is a thread on the highest grades that you can keep with just a fan. You would probably top that thread... although slight cheating... your air-con is switched on at night.
Old 14-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #105
jetset

Quote:
I'm curious about what you said as well, with regards to cooler ambient temp on lower levels. i live on the second floor, with no direct sunlight except for maybe between 4-5PM, and my 6gal tanks never go above 26c WITHOUT the use of fans during the day. For those with the fan on, temp is at 24-25c. It's not even windy in my place as i keep all the windows closed when i'm at work.

you're right about using fans though.. in the end, it's all about how many degrees it can shave off from your ambient temp, and the humidity level at that point in time. also, temp tends to fluctuate depending on its surroundings..
Its about placement and the tank setup as well. I have tanks in a 6th flr and 20th flr apt and on some tanks, the temp is the same. However, I have a strange tank on the 6th flr apt that always has a lower temp that the rest... 26 deg most of the time w/o fan. The tanks next to it with fans can only match up to this tank. However, the other tanks w/o fans in both apts are about 28 deg during the same period.

This tank that is always lower temp than the rest is 1.5', heavily planted (think about 30-40% of volume are plants) and running 3 filters.
Old 14-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #106
jetset

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander_den View Post
Yes... I've hit down to 24 deg on fan-cooled tanks but only during the colder periods of the year. Not only does it have to be during the cold periods, there must be rain for at least 3 days straight. ie. much less than 5% of the year. My usual temp is 26-27 deg but expect it to hit 28 deg come mid-year.
Old 14-04-2009, 11:39 AM   #107
rainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset View Post
There is a thread on the highest grades that you can keep with just a fan. You would probably top that thread... although slight cheating... your air-con is switched on at night.
that's because i can't sleep without the aircon on at night! haha

lots of folks keep high grade crs even without the use of fans.. thought they probably don't reside in sunny singapore
Old 14-04-2009, 10:11 PM   #108
rainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Leow View Post
the use of fans to lower temp takes place through evaporation.. hence, it depends mostly on two variables: ambient temp and in some way, humidity levels. if your ambient temp is around 30c, then there's almost no way a fan will keep your temp below 25c. you'll get lots of evaporation, but not much change in temp. i did a test once on a cycling tank by leaving the fan on WITH my aircon set at 25c.. temp went to as low as 19c.
Old 13-05-2009, 01:39 AM   #109
rainman

feeding frenzy!

Old 13-05-2009, 01:46 AM   #110
CullTail
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
feeding frenzy!

lovely picture! can see all the shrimplets!
CullTail is offline   Reply With Quote