Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 15-01-2016, 12:07 AM   #11
Squid
Endangered Dragon

thanks, yup not really sure he just opened it up and its full of eggs.
the aro does look plump . can this be a sign it has eggs? andmaybe if see our aro pui pui we should diet them?
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 02:24 PM   #12
shermie
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLim View Post
Yes, that is what I think too. Sometime I just wc after feeding... So is it a thing to avoid, to feed and wc on the same day? Any theory or reason to support other than the pH issue?
i guess the reason why most ppl rather not do wc after feeding is more of the potential ammonia spike from the messy eating fish+ waste + chloramine. shouldnt be an issue if proper AC is used.

another reason is if u do large WC and tap water parameters are noticeably different from tank water parameters it could cause undue stress which leads to indigestion.

personally i still feed before or after wc, and even during wc , but feed sparingly and only if i'm sure the fish are not stressed at all by the wc.
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 02:26 PM   #13
shermie
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid View Post
thanks, yup not really sure he just opened it up and its full of eggs.
the aro does look plump . can this be a sign it has eggs? andmaybe if see our aro pui pui we should diet them?
yes but it's hard to differentiate between fat or egg laden.. especially if u aro already was fat to begin with lol.

shouldnt overfeed any fish to begin with.. but most ppl like sumo or pui pui aros so they just keep pumping non stop.
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 03:21 PM   #14
dragonhart
Dragon

usually I dun WC after feeding...sometimes aros can vomit...especially if feed full full...

after WC , fish appetite usually no gd as it is adjusting to changing water paramenters. for some aros, appetite can improve after WC..so really depends.

btw if the aro is already fat, then should not keep feeding lah....aros in a glass tank or even FGT has limited space to exercise....so dun over feed.
dragonhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 11:34 AM   #15
albertlow
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermie View Post
i guess the reason why most ppl rather not do wc after feeding is more of the potential ammonia spike from the messy eating fish+ waste + chloramine. shouldnt be an issue if proper AC is used.

another reason is if u do large WC and tap water parameters are noticeably different from tank water parameters it could cause undue stress which leads to indigestion.

personally i still feed before or after wc, and even during wc , but feed sparingly and only if i'm sure the fish are not stressed at all by the wc.
Agree with Bro Shermine, normally i stop feeding my red Aro 1 day before WC and 1 day after WC, allow it to have 2 days of digestion period and the appetite will increase once u resume feeding.

If overfeed your aro with 100% or more load, Aro tend to lost interest in their food and they start to go on hunger strike vice-versa meaning there is ammonia spike in the water condition.

Just remember, slow and steady will win a beautiful Arowana as they can be kept with a lifespan of more than 10 years, so no hurry to pump it up. Cheers.
albertlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 01:03 AM   #16
patclay
Dragon

Stomach looks bloated. Sad to hear the unfortunate news.
patclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 12:36 PM   #17
skyching5911
Dragon

Sad to c tis....
skyching5911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 02:52 PM   #18
Jon33™
Arofanatic

On the topic of egg bound death. Not sure if anyone has tried this to purposely induce egg laying for suspected female aros. It just occurred to me to google up this. I'm not exactly sure how it is meant to work also. Just thought of sharing and hearing any opinions.

http://www.wchemical.com/ovaprim-ovammmlu010.html
Jon33™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 04:03 PM   #19
Homester
Senior Dragon

Bro Jon,

The very first criteria is how to ascertain that the particular Aro in concern is a female.

Only then we can determine if it works.

Alternatively, can try on other fishes.
Homester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #20
Jon33™
Arofanatic

Yup agreed. That is the difficult part to ascertain the sex. I'm also not sure of what may cause the death of the aro here. If it is due to over feeding then it's best to reduce the feeding quantity and frequency to be on the safe side. However, if it is due to the case of bounded eggs that led to the death then it is a sad and worrying case as it seems like a time bomb waiting to happen e.g not knowing if your aro is female and if it is indeed then it might just die suddenly.
Jon33™ is offline   Reply With Quote